Kiran,
I had a look at that video. I like it. They showed the splice on the belt being placed under the carriage.
My customer has his in the middle behind the carriage. I did check to make sure that when the carriage was
at the extreme on both ends the splice was at least 2 inches away from either pulley. Also the idler pulley is out
of round and I can feel the tension change as I move the carriage back and forth. I was able to relieve some of the
belt tension so the movement was smooth.
I also found that the encoder strip was on the outside of the encoder sensor. I corrected that and cleaned
the strip with a clean damp cloth with a light pressure. It still did not look any better even though I saw the amount
of dirt that came off.
The carriage started up on power up and moved slowly then fast then slowly to the left, made a noise and moved to
the right. It moved slow then fast for about 12" then slow. When it got the right side I heard it stop then heard the
toothed belt over the toothed pulley noise, and got the check paper path #2 message. I believe the encode strip is shot.
I've seen this before but it did not take a big jump like this one.

But the symptoms changed.