Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Designjet T3500 Belt Replacement - need instructions

Re: Designjet T3500 Belt Replacement - need instructions

It's not like the T1100 at all.

I'm not trying to be rude, but if you can't follow the service manual, which has pictures and exact step by step instructions, I don't recommend trying to do it yourself.

Kiran

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

No, not at all, thank you, I have asked myself the same question. And also thank you for letting me know it is not the same as the T1100. The guy who told me that is a former HP Tech, so I will ask him about this.

As for the manual, I went over it again last night, and from what I could find there is not a set of instructions as to how to remove the belt specifically. There are instructions on how to remove the covers and all the parts, but which ones are required for the belt removal I can't find. I want to know how to do this before I get there. I have worked on HP Plotters before, but this is a huge job that I have not done before. If the customer is correct, this printer only has about 600 prints.

Why the belt came off the left pully is a concern because I don't want it happening again with the new belt.

Any additional advice is appreciated!

It does look like a real pain in the butt to replace this belt, but, if you've got experience on plotters (and just experience in general), you should be able to follow the manual and fill in the blanks where needed.

Did the belt actually fail? The 'pulley' on the left end is the motor that drives the carriage, and on the right end is the pulley/tensioner. The tensioner can break; I've seen this more often than a bad belt on this series printer, namely because the belt is much heavier-duty than others. So you may not have a bad belt but a broken tensioner.. and that is MUCH easier to replace.

If the belt simply came off the motor and the tensioner isn't broken, then you should be able to unscrew the tensioner and put the belt back on, and re-tension the tensioner.

But if the belt did indeed fail, one you get the carriage out, it simply pulls out of the back of the carriage. See the attached for an image; it's right out of the service manual.

Kiran
    Attached Files Attached Files

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Off topic:
    I'm not HP printers nor plotters fan, but Kiran opinion seems to be the first I asked if I have a problem.
    Rep power well deserved.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Most of the T1100's and T3500's I see are too new to have any mechanical issues yet. Both models are covered in the same service manual, but there are major differences.

If you're not seeing the section that Kiran indicates to you, maybe you don't have a service manual. Maybe you have an operators manual. In any case you'll need to gather enough confidence to either take some covers off and investigate, or hire someone who will. The only major difference between a technician and anybody else, is that they will read the manual and try not to break other things along the way. If you do this enough times you'll get the false impression that you actually know something. Don't worry though, technology cycles through fast enough that just about the time you get really good at something, it goes away. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    Most of the T1100's and T3500's I see are too new to have any mechanical issues yet. Both models are covered in the same service manual, but there are major differences.
    Are you sure about that? The T1100 is far older than the T3500 and I feel the two have little in common. i.e. the T1100 service manual I have says 2007, and the T3500 manual says 2014 (comparing 1st editions.) Plus they're not covered in the same service manual, at least that I know of. The T610/T1100 are one, and the T950/T1500/T2500/T3500 are in another.

If OP needs the service manual, it's here.

Kiran

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Possibly, everyone's thinking of the Z3200?? Those are very like the T1100.

Quote Originally Posted by theengel View Post
    Possibly, everyone's thinking of the Z3200?? Those are very like the T1100.
    Thanks everyone, I am pretty sure I have the information I need, thanks, especially to Kiran. Indeed the HP Tech I spoke to said he thought about it and decided he was wrong it was similar to the T1000 - sorry for the wrong path. I will get out there and look at the tensioner and let you know how it turns out. Might be a little while since the customer is away that I need to talk to.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post

If you're not seeing the section that Kiran indicates to you, maybe you don't have a service manual. Maybe you have an operators manual. In any case you'll need to gather enough confidence to either take some covers off and investigate, or hire someone who will. The only major difference between a technician and anybody else, is that they will read the manual and try not to break other things along the way. If you do this enough times you'll get the false impression that you actually know something. Don't worry though, technology cycles through fast enough that just about the time you get really good at something, it goes away. =^..^=
    Thank you for the advice and encouragement as well. I do have the 500+ page service manual. All the parts are shown and how to remove them, just not which ones need to be removed to get the belt out. Kind of inconvenient that they leave it to the tech to figure out. I am sure I could figure it out but wanted to be as efficiant as possible on-site by seeing it actually done. People are working right there where it's sitting and I don't want to be sitting there looking at the manual on my PC constantly. There will be a video in time I am sure.