Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Any experience with Designjet 4500 printers?

Re: Any experience with Designjet 4500 printers?

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    I've seen something like this on the T3500 (newer model).

The paper slips back about 2" then overprints the 2" of image. Then it pulls an error (not a jam) ... sorry, I can't remember the code. At first I thought the takeup was too strong, but it was just the hard foamy registration roller dirty. Just cleaning the roller took care of it.

It did take some disassembly to get to the reg roller. =^..^=
    Here is the database entry, if it's helpful:

DJ T2530PS, 3500PS

Prints ~18" of the page, overprinting the last 28 ½ mm of the image, then cuts. Then displays: "39.12:01 Roll unloaded. End of roll or paper input friction. Load roll carefully onto spindle." Paper is present on the roll.

The platen roller loses it's grip on the paper and the paper takeup drive pulls the paper back 28 ½ mm. The machine detects this slip, and interprets it as paper glued to the roll or friction between the spool and the paper.

To clean the platen roller: remove roll #2 assy, door #2 (2 screws at swivel), right side holder (5 screws, let it hang from the wires), lower inlet guide (4 screws, 1 connector). Platen drive motor will not allow manual rotation. Right side door hinge contains the doorswitch, so if you move the hinge you can watch paper roll operation.

If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

I've had problems with the rollers slipping on several of these. Actually, all their bigger designjets. There's some kind of mode in the utility menu to clean the roller. Once you set it, it just rolls the roller very slowly, so you can use something like the mentioned chemical to clean it (I use Goof Off, or some generic version of it, found in Krogers).

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I used some "MaxPro Rubber Rejuvenator" spray. Sprayed it on the rollers while they were turning, let it sit for about 30 seconds and the problem is gone. Switches paper rolls now very reliably. Bought off Amazon for about $9. Highly recommend.

Thanks for all the input guys. Much appreciated.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Update:

Well, the spray worked for awhile but then the slipping started again. So I went for this product instead:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Used the Turn Rollers function on the printer and applied with a cloth (wear gloves and use in a ventilated area). Gave the rollers two applications. This was about 4 days ago and so far the rollers are gripping the paper just fine, no slipping. And that's in an ambient temperature of about 60° in my garage so I think this stuff works better than the spray. Apply generously and rub in with reckless abandon, let sit for a few minutes, then apply a second time.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

UPDATE:

The chemical applications worked well for a while but needed to be reapplied every few weeks or so to be reliable. Eventually the problem returned and the #2 roll refused to load reliably.

So I ordered some grip tape made for the tops of skateboards. It's about 80-90 grit with adhesive backing. I cut three equal length pieces just long enough to fit the circumference of the neoprene rollers and applied using the command to turn the rollers continuously. All three went on just fine. I put one on the center roller and the other two towards the ends but not to the far-end roller so at least tow of the rollers with the grip tape will catch all sizes of paper widths.

I loaded and unloaded the bottom roller about a half-dozen times and it completed the action successfully everytime, using 42" heavy coated paper. No slips at all. I then loaded some gloss photo paper, 36", and printed a photo and could see no evidence of the grip tape damaging the front of the paper or marring the print.

The printer was idle for about 3 months and came in today to do a large print from roll #2. It loaded and printed with no problem so the grip tape seems to be okay for a long-term application.

So I'm calling this "fixed" for now.