Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DesignJet Z6200 Blank Screen after replacing Trailing Cable / Ink Tube Assembly

Confirmed that the printer had the reported error of 86:01 (Carriage Servo Shutdown) that wouldn't clear. During troubleshooting I noticed that there were tiny metal threads along the carriage path and then found that the Trailing Cable rubber and braided metal shield had worn off in multiple places. Came back with the Trailing Cable/Ink Supply Tube Assembly and installed it. I don't know if an HP original part would have the Ink Tube PCAs on each, but the refurbished part I got from a trusted vendor didn't have them so I had to swap them. When I powered the unit up, the first thing that happened was that the front panel was blank (lit up white background, no black rectangle) and no initialization. I shut it down and restarted. Next time, same blank screen then I started hearing a continuous trilling type beep noise, so I quickly turned it off again at the main power. I started troubleshooting the rear LED's. At power up and observing the Power Switch LEDs, I saw the amber light, it went off, then the blue light at the same time as the trilling noise, then it would cycle back to the amber light and continuously repeat this cycle. Finally, this stopped, both blue and green LEDs stayed on and the Formatter fan turned on, but still no display or other initialization. The Formatter LEDs I and II are both on. The Service Manual troubleshooting table for both those sets of LEDs doesn't list an option for Formatter LEDs I and II on plus Power Switch LEDs Blue and Green, so that is no help. I unplugged the HD and it powered up with 8 beeps, so I think I've ruled that out. I powered up with the trailing cables disconnected with no change. Leaning toward the Formatter, although it doesn't match the troubleshooting table and seems odd that this happened right after replacing other parts. Also wondering if maybe one of the Ink Tube PCA's is pulling down the Power Supply. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: DesignJet Z6200 Blank Screen after replacing Trailing Cable / Ink Tube Assembly

Quote Originally Posted by KJEpps View Post
    Confirmed that the printer had the reported error of 86:01 (Carriage Servo Shutdown) that wouldn't clear. During troubleshooting I noticed that there were tiny metal threads along the carriage path and then found that the Trailing Cable rubber and braided metal shield had worn off in multiple places. Came back with the Trailing Cable/Ink Supply Tube Assembly and installed it. I don't know if an HP original part would have the Ink Tube PCAs on each, but the refurbished part I got from a trusted vendor didn't have them so I had to swap them. When I powered the unit up, the first thing that happened was that the front panel was blank (lit up white background, no black rectangle) and no initialization. I shut it down and restarted. Next time, same blank screen then I started hearing a continuous trilling type beep noise, so I quickly turned it off again at the main power. I started troubleshooting the rear LED's. At power up and observing the Power Switch LEDs, I saw the amber light, it went off, then the blue light at the same time as the trilling noise, then it would cycle back to the amber light and continuously repeat this cycle. Finally, this stopped, both blue and green LEDs stayed on and the Formatter fan turned on, but still no display or other initialization. The Formatter LEDs I and II are both on. The Service Manual troubleshooting table for both those sets of LEDs doesn't list an option for Formatter LEDs I and II on plus Power Switch LEDs Blue and Green, so that is no help. I unplugged the HD and it powered up with 8 beeps, so I think I've ruled that out. I powered up with the trailing cables disconnected with no change. Leaning toward the Formatter, although it doesn't match the troubleshooting table and seems odd that this happened right after replacing other parts. Also wondering if maybe one of the Ink Tube PCA's is pulling down the Power Supply. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

OK the one thing I see in all of that, You disconnected the T cable and STILL got the same issue.

Are you sure the T cable was installed correctly and no LANS were FUBAR'd? The service manual gives a LED light pattern for errors.. and it doesn't list the pattern? strange.

Re: DesignJet Z6200 Blank Screen after replacing Trailing Cable / Ink Tube Assembly

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    OK the one thing I see in all of that, You disconnected the T cable and STILL got the same issue.

Are you sure the T cable was installed correctly and no LANS were FUBAR'd? The service manual gives a LED light pattern for errors.. and it doesn't list the pattern? strange.

I reseated the connection both at the Carriage and at the Interconnect board several times. In as bad a shape as they were, I finally even tried the old Trailing Cables. No change in light patterns.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KJEpps View Post
    I reseated the connection both at the Carriage and at the Interconnect board several times. In as bad a shape as they were, I finally even tried the old Trailing Cables. No change in light patterns.
    have you re-flashed Firmware?

could be formatter or Emod unit.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

That 'alarm' sound is because the motherboard didn't sense the CPU fan spinning. It happens if you turn the printer off and on frequently. I find you have to turn it off, and wait a minute before turning it back on again.

What happens if you disconnect the tube assembly cable? I would generally try disconnecting things until you get a response; trying the hard drive was a good idea. Be sure to reseat the RAM. And test the 3V battery on the motherboard. I've had that prevent these printers from booting though they did initialize, just would hang when counting down on 1.

It's just a guess but my gut tells me it's the hard drive. The printer isn't booting far enough to initialize anything, really. If it has the funky IDE to SATA adapter on the hard drive, that has a LED on it; you can watch the hard drive activity and usually see when if it's reading the disk or not. IF there is that adapter and you see no LED, it could be the adapter itself.

Kiran

Well I went back today and tried to flash the firmware. No luck, still the blank white screen. Tried to go into Diag Mode, same thing, blank screen. Talked to HP Tech Support for authorized service providers. (We are one, but just not on Designjets, so I was surprised that they talked to me.) They confirmed what I was leaning toward - only comes as a combo for this model - Formatter/HDD. Ordered today. I'll keep you posted.

Odd, the parts store supplies the drive and board as separate items. I'm curious what part number it is they're sending you.

Kiran

Quote Originally Posted by Kiran Otter View Post
    Odd, the parts store supplies the drive and board as separate items. I'm curious what part number it is they're sending you.

Kiran
    This one is a B version so they gave me p/n CQ109-67044 which subs to CQ109-67052. The CQ111B uses an encrypted HD.

This one is a B version....
    Looking at the exploded parts list, that's what I was thinking........

On this model, on the Rev A revisions, the formatter and HDD can be ordered seperately. It's EXPLICITLY listed as such in the exploded parts view. My guess was the "Encrypted Hard Disk + Formatter" was for other revisions even thought other revisions were not explicitly listed like the formatter and HDD for Rev A.

CQ109-67020 - Formatter (includes Processor, Heatsink & Fan)(Only for Rev A printers)
    CQ109-67015 - Hard Disk Drive (includes Holder and screws) (Only for Rev A printers)

CQ109-67044 - Encrypted Hard Disk + Formatter

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Lance15 View Post
    Looking at the exploded parts list, that's what I was thinking........

On this model, on the Rev A revisions, the formatter and HDD can be ordered seperately. It's EXPLICITLY listed as such in the exploded parts view. My guess was the "Encrypted Hard Disk + Formatter" was for other revisions even thought other revisions were not explicitly listed like the formatter and HDD for Rev A.

CQ109-67020 - Formatter (includes Processor, Heatsink & Fan)(Only for Rev A printers)
    CQ109-67015 - Hard Disk Drive (includes Holder and screws) (Only for Rev A printers)

CQ109-67044 - Encrypted Hard Disk + Formatter
    I worked on a Designjet with a similar issue, the problem was with the “ interconnect bd” on the left side by the display. You might want want to contact LPS Computer, they are very good on these machines.