ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

HP T7100 paper load issues

I have to be missing something simple. Customer has 2 of these and both are doing the same thing, as far as i can tell.

Loading paper, set roll, pull feed brake down, align paper on blue line and shut door. When it tries to load, after a few seconds it says paper can't be found. Open rear door and the paper is no longer under the feed brake, like it reversed. Put the paper a hair past the blue line and of course it gets caught when it cycles around. I changed the spindles on one of the trays and made no difference. I looked for other postings on this, but most referred to the spindle. The thing that blows me away is that they called me for one, the guy across the hall had a new 6800 and was turning in his t7100 so I had them get it, and both of them are having the same issue.

At a glance it would look like the gears/rollers on the back door are not engaging. Is there a way to test this? Odd I would have the same issue on 2 machines.

Also, I went into test and it passed the test for paper feed. Gone through manual and doesn't seem to be an individual test for the motor in the back door. Are these known to fail or am I looking at a sensor gone bad.

Not sure what I did, besides cussing at it a lot, but is feeding paper now, will update later.
    Last edited by fixthecopier; 12-04-2019 at 08:35 PM.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: HP T7100 paper load issues

Not sure if this will give any clues, but, this was from 2018.

A Paper Jam Occurs When Using 30-Inch or 24-Inch Width Paper Rolls.pdf

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Feed brake? Back door? Is this a Designjet T7100 or something else? Maybe I haven't had enough coffee yet.

You feed the paper in until it stops; the printer beeps and pulls in the paper. You have to follow the user manual and front panel.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05914480

Sorry if I'm way off here.

Kiran

Quote Originally Posted by Kiran Otter View Post
    Feed brake? Back door? Is this a Designjet T7100 or something else? Maybe I haven't had enough coffee yet.

You feed the paper in until it stops; the printer beeps and pulls in the paper. You have to follow the user manual and front panel.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05914480

Sorry if I'm way off here.

Kiran

I would go through the procedure to feed, close the front door, after a few seconds it would say it could not find paper. open back door and paper no longer under brake. last time I tried after going through the feed system test, it worked. Been busy and haven't had time to further test.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Had a few minutes with it today.I unload the roll I loaded last week, and it reloads fine. I take another roll and try the second feeder, it fails. I notice that on the first roll, the machine bar coded the lead edge, and roll that failed was not coded. I take the roll from first slot and it works fine in the second slot. Is this a fluke? I would assume it is reading the bar code at the carriage. If this is the issue, is it known issue and how do I correct it. Firmware? Or did I just get lucky with the one roll. Both are 36 inches.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

I don't know if this is pertinent to your model, but I saw this on an HP T790PS:

Symptoms: "Paper is not loaded correctly. Remove paper and reload." even when no paper is present.
    Cause: Paper feed switch is lazy, does not pop back up. This switch stands vertical balancing two torsion springs against each other. One spring became weak, showing paper present when it is not. The flag can flip forward or backward.

Solution: Knowing what I know now, I would just order a new switch. After 2 dozen times of taking it apart and putting it back together, and dropping the microscopic springs several times, I did eventually balance the spring tension of the two torsion springs.

Do I have a photo? ... yes. In the photo the paper switch is laying over, it should be standing up perpendicular to the paper guide:

IMG_2585_2.jpg

=^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=