Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    HP Laserjet 600 M602 Dead Machine Control Display lit and fan running. Was fine....

HP Laserjet 600 M602 Dead Machine Control Display lit and fan running. Was fine....

I went to my account and picked up a machine that was running fine (Frequent Jams). I took it to my shop and it sat for a week or so. When I turned the control Display lit up, a fan came on and nothing else. (no letters in display). I let it sit for an hour and nothing... I am not sure where to start on this one... Any help is very appreciated...

Currently in the Vaal Triangle area in Gauteng, South Africa

Re: HP Laserjet 600 M602 Dead Machine Control Display lit and fan running. Was fine..

Have you tried starting it up with the HDD/memory module SSD thing disconnected?

Had one that froze up like that a long time ago and disconnecting the HDD made it start up and could reconnect HDD back up again afterwards.

Sent from my WAS-LX1 using Tapatalk

Re: HP Laserjet 600 M602 Dead Machine Control Display lit and fan running. Was fine..

Quote Originally Posted by 8T2 View Post
    Have you tried starting it up with the HDD/memory module SSD thing disconnected?

Had one that froze up like that a long time ago and disconnecting the HDD made it start up and could reconnect HDD back up again afterwards.

I gave that a try, it's still doing the same thing. I believe that it is that type of issue though. Thanks so much for your response...

Bad luck. You don't by chance have another machine to test your formatter on? Formatter would be next on my troubleshooting list.

I was lucky when I worked on those because I had about 20 of them in the same building which made it easy to swap out components and test quick

Well I bought a new formatter board and it stated to come up then error'ed a 33.02.01 Used board and disk installed (It was used). I started to trouble shoot that then it went back to the way it was before. Is there a way to bring up the machine and force it into installing firmware right from the "turn on". I have no access to anything else... Any help is very appreciated...

Never had to do firmware on one of those...or any other HP for a long time. I should imagine you can either update it via USB thumb drive or if I remember correctly some HP models allow you to install the firmware package via the driver, just can't remember exactly where the option was. And obviously the machine has to go online first. Hope this helps or that one of the HP techs can point you in the right direction.

Last edited by 8T2; 01-30-2020 at 05:39 AM. Reason: Forgot something

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Use the Preboot menu.

Access the Preboot menu
    1. Turn the product on.
    2. Press the Stop button when the Ready, Data, and Attention LEDs are illuminated solid.
    3. Use the Down arrow button to navigate the Preboot menu options.
    4. Press the OK button to select a menu item.

Administrator

Download
    This item initiates a preboot firmware download process. A USB device interface or a Network connection can be used to download firmware.

Clean Disk
    This item reinitializes the disk and cleans all disk partitions.

CAUTION: Selecting the Clean Disk item removes all data. A delete confirmation prompt is not provided. The system is not bootable after this action—a firmware download must be performed to return the system to a bootable state.

Partial Clean
    This item reinitializes the disk (removing all data except the firmware repository where the master firmware bundle is downloaded and saved).

CAUTION: Selecting the Partial Clean item removes all data except the firmware repository. A delete confirmation prompt is not provided. This allows user to reformat the disk by removing the firmware image from the active directory without having to download new firmware code (product remains bootable).

Quote Originally Posted by Lance15 View Post
    Use the Preboot menu.

Access the Preboot menu
    1. Turn the product on.
    2. Press the Stop button when the Ready, Data, and Attention LEDs are illuminated solid.
    3. Use the Down arrow button to navigate the Preboot menu options.
    4. Press the OK button to select a menu item.

Administrator

Download
    This item initiates a preboot firmware download process. A USB device interface or a Network connection can be used to download firmware.

Clean Disk
    This item reinitializes the disk and cleans all disk partitions.

CAUTION: Selecting the Clean Disk item removes all data. A delete confirmation prompt is not provided. The system is not bootable after this action—a firmware download must be performed to return the system to a bootable state.

Partial Clean
    This item reinitializes the disk (removing all data except the firmware repository where the master firmware bundle is downloaded and saved).

CAUTION: Selecting the Partial Clean item removes all data except the firmware repository. A delete confirmation prompt is not provided. This allows user to reformat the disk by removing the firmware image from the active directory without having to download new firmware code (product remains bootable).
    The ready, Data and attention lights won't come on... I may have to get another formatter board... Thanks so much for you response..

Well after Blood Sweat an Alot of tears I found the problem. The Stop button was stuck in the down position. So if anyone else is going nuts trying to figure this out. Check the buttons....