HP LaserJet 500 M570DN - "Squeaking" noise

Bit of a funny one.

The users of this printer have complained that after print jobs the printer makes a "squeaking" noise. I think this will be one of the drums in the compatible toners as when I've moved the toners to another printer they say that it's moved to the other printer.

Neither me nor my colleagues have ever heard this noise. When we attend it doesn't do it and we can't hear anything, apparently it takes a while for it to crop up. The toners are too expensive for their budget holder to want to replace them for a "nuisance" issue. We also think it may be because they requested that the printer is right next to their desks so they don't have to go up and get their printouts, so a usual noise may seem worse to them.

Currently I'm swapping the toners one at a time each day to see if it moves back to the printer, but has anyone seen an issue like this in this range, possibly only with compat toners?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts driving lots of miles's Avatar

Re: HP LaserJet 500 M570DN - "Squeaking" noise

The customer calls because of a squeak and when you try a different cartridge it goes away.
    I have definitely had to replace compatible toners with this issue, one reason I don't like compatibles.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by driving lots of miles View Post
    The customer calls because of a squeak and when you try a different cartridge it goes away.
    I have definitely had to replace compatible toners with this issue, one reason I don't like compatibles.
    +1 to this

Quote Originally Posted by driving lots of miles View Post
    Yeah, we do think it is the compatible. I'm wondering if it's a common issue with compats for this model (due to the drum in the cartridge) as the department aren't going to like being told that it's either an inconvenient printer or a 4x more expensive printer which is my next conversation with them.

More of an issue with the department IMO as they can never agree on a good fit for printers in their office. They went from a slower but vastly cheaper printer to run on originals, but complained that it didn't do bulk jobs as quickly,

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by M.Ant View Post
    Yeah, we do think it is the compatible. I'm wondering if it's a common issue with compats for this model (due to the drum in the cartridge) as the department aren't going to like being told that it's either an inconvenient printer or a 4x more expensive printer which is my next conversation with them.

More of an issue with the department IMO as they can never agree on a good fit for printers in their office. They went from a slower but vastly cheaper printer to run on originals, but complained that it didn't do bulk jobs as quickly,
    depending on the refiller, they don't always fluff the 'felt' patches on the cart frame.
    build up of toner can cause the squeaks.

there are MANY places that cause squeaks and sometimes they can be a PIA to find.

but compatibles have always had a rash of problems if they aren't remaned properly.

just the cost of printing.