Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

L26500 or Latex 260 system error 24:10 broken bag error

Hi, I'm getting this system error 24:10 broken bag on my L26500 or latex 260. I see that the suspect cartridge is yellow.

I tried to recover the broken bag in the diagnostic menu, but no success. Keep getting the error.

I have no ink in the air tubes, but I have a length of air in the yellow tube between the ISS and carriage about 12" from the ISS. I'm not sure how long it is.

I assume that could cause the error.

The yellow cartridge weighs as though it is almost empty, 9.3 ounces.

There is no ink spillage in the ISS.

I did see some mouse poop and pee on the upper ISS pca. Don't know if that has damaged it or not.

I need to get a full yellow ink cartridge.

I have thought about resetting the EEROM; maybe I will.

Is there a problem posed by resetting the EEROM? Would it force me to purchase a tubes purge kit or something of the sort? (I know for some or all? Z & T series when you reset the EEROM you are forced to install set up print heads and install inks that are at least a certain % full--possibly forcing you to buy replacement inks. I want to avoid something like that.)

I think I will try to draw the air out of the yellow ink line. Perhaps that would take care of it.

I'm not sure of the best method to do this.

I have seen the air tube leading to the cartridge pressurized with syringe and then clamped off and then applying suction with syringe at the carriage end and drawing out ink at the carriage end.

I have seen suction applied at the carriage end and then applying pressure to the yellow air tube driving ink into the syringe applying suction at the carriage end.

It is interesting that the upper ISS pca states yellow on it at the vicinity of what presently is the location of the magenta ink cartridge and states magenta on it in the vicinity of what presently is the location of the yellow ink cartridge. I assume that doesn't matter.

Thanks for any input.
    Last edited by pbrooks259; 03-14-2020 at 01:16 PM.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: L26500 or Latex 260 system error 24:10 broken bag error

Air in the ink tubes will not cause a broken bag status. I had a similar issue with a printer where the ink tube from the cartridge above it, leaked onto the ISS PCA below and caused it to think there was a broken bag status. I had to take the ISS PCA off and clean it with alcohol, dry it, and then I was able to get past the broken bag message. If I remember correctly I did a EEROM reset but try to follow the process for clearing a broken bag status first.

I would replace the yellow cartridge before proceeding. If you do the EEROM reset, the printer will want to prime the ink tubes, and it won't with near empty cartridges. You don't need the setup printheads to prime tubes with ink already in them since they basically won't work; the moment the ink reaches the filter it stops allowing anything else to pass. I seem to remember getting around the prime process but I don't remember exactly how I did it. Or I just let it do its thing and moved on. Ink should not come out of the tubes; if it does you have a bad tube assembly.

You can use the prime tubes process to get the air out of a tube by using a syringe with the plunger removed, on the specific color, and let the printer pump the ink into the empty syringe.. removing it as soon as the air is gone. I'd have paper towels ready in case of a mess.

If it's just an inch or two of air in the tube, I wouldn't worry about it.

Of course if you can't resolve the ISS PCA issue, you'll have to either use one from another tube assembly, or replace the tube assembly altogether. Just make sure the new tube assembly you purchase comes with the ISS PCAs. I think the last one I got from LPS Computer for a Z6200 did not, so I had to transfer the ISS PCAs from the old to the new tubes.

Kiran

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Thanks very much, Kiran.

I can replace the ISS pca's (pca's only) with new ones, correct? (I think I can.)

Can I clean the upper existing ISS pca with CRC electronic cleaner PN 05103?

I think the mouse droppings etc. may have shorted it out here and there.

My hunch: It is the yellow cartridge. Or the mice did the ISS pca in.

thanks,
    Paul

If you can find new ISS PCAs, yes, but I think that will cause the printer to start with priming the tubes. I'm not sure where you'd get the PCAs new; they're part of the tube assembly and not a part you can order from HP.

I'm not familiar with that CRC cleaner but it sounds like it would work. I just used alcohol and a toothbrush, and then a can of air to dry it.

Worse case, just replace the tube assembly. HP still has them, for $1,513.00 x.x

Kiran

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Wow, that's expensive! I'll try to stay away from that if I can.

....it appears that some of the very small DIP chips on the upper ISS pca are missing prongs.

I think MAYBE due to the acidity of the mouse pee. Looks like they had a tiny little modeling runway over the upper ISS pca--modeling their shiny new winter coats. That's what can happen when you let one of these sit in the garage for a long time.

Thinking maybe it should be replaced by whatever means I can get a replacement.
    Last edited by pbrooks259; 03-14-2020 at 08:35 PM.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Kiran, FYI, regarding L26500 and others ISS pca's: HP Part# CH955-67054 ISS Boards for Latex260 L25500 L26500 | eBay

Again My upper ISS pca appeared to be destroyed here and there due to mouse urine--acidity I assume. One cyan connector prong was totally gone. Others were green due to corrosive effects. Again it appears that prongs are missing on a couple DIP chips.

So I will replace the ISS pca's. I purchased the above set.

What level of fullness does the L26500 require for purging? Well, it looks like they need to be "full" or "less than 88%". I don't understand disallowance of 88% to 99% full ink cartridges--that seems kinda wild. Hmmm....

I will have to get yellow and magenta ink at least.

Out of curiosity, are the set up printheads for these identical to those for the T and Z series? But I have ink in the tubes already. But not fully in the yellow ink tube. I understand that once the ink hits them they are no longer useful for releasing air.

Thanks.
    Last edited by pbrooks259; 03-15-2020 at 02:18 PM.

Mouse pee, charge customer for new machine, they claim on insurance.

Well that's cool, I was unaware there was a separate part number for the ISS PCAs. I guess I've never looked for them.

For the tube priming procedure to work, the cartridges have to be at 88% or less. I don't know what the lower limit is; not 'low' or very low, I'm sure. That's why I suggest trying to do the broken bag process vs resetting the EEROM. I don't think it has the same limitation on the ink cartridge levels. Again it's been a while since I was in that situation... I could be wrong.

The setup heads are not the same as the T/Z series; those printheads have 2 colors in one head. The latex has 1 color per printhead. You could probably use the T/Z series though if they fit on the 4 (of 8) plenums in the carriage. Either all even or odd heads. Again, they won't help to remove the air if there's ink in them already.

Kiran

By the way, if this printer has sat for an extended period of time, be prepared to replace ALL of the printheads. If any of them work correctly I'd be very surprised.

Kiran

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

What do you think about latex ink that has sat in this L26500 unused for 4 years?

....I would assume it has gotten gooier, tackier, thicker, etc. and might trash the new printheads. So I am thinking very seriously about replacing all the ink. But between ink and printheads, I am looking at about $1500 to $2000. I don't like the 3rd party stuff; I try to go with OEM.

But really I have no idea, perhaps it keeps very well in the tanks and ink tubes even for 4 years.