Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    HP Designjet 4500 Scanner-after a while starts only scanning center one-third only

Re: HP Designjet 4500 Scanner-after a while starts only scanning center one-third onl

I'll send you a PM on the price. I would though probably try a new power supply first. I wish I has one to offer, but LPS does have them.

Maybe put a DVM on the various outputs of the power supply and just check that something is coming out of the various leads. I've just seen so many bad power supplies in these scanners.

I have a Chameleon TX36 that uses the same power supply. If needed I could check the voltages on mine for comparison.

Kiran

HP Designjet 4500 Scanner-after a while starts only scanning center one-third only

Re: HP Designjet 4500 Scanner-after a while starts only scanning center one-third onl

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I responded to PM, but I found no evidence it was sent. Are they reviewed before sent? At any rate, I would like to have the main pca you described. Please let me know what you need. Again, I tried to respond but was no evidence it was sent; I assume PMs are reviewed before sent????

Thanks for the link to the PSU voltages.

So, you are thinking I should:

1. Try a PSU first if it shows an insufficient voltage. (FYI, I just checked the power outputs of the PSU. They read 24V, 12.6V, 5.5V, 5.5V.), Then (I'm not sure):

2. Not sure about this: Maybe Try a driver board--I checked voltages on the driver board they seem to be appropriate low voltages where applicable, Then (still not sure):

3. Try a main logic board? (I think this is it but not 100% of course. I did get a blurb from Bob Wert (LPS); he thinks main logic board is unstable or fried.)

Keeping in mind that if the lamp is lit sufficiently, I ASSUME the cameras should be able to pass the image on to the main board.

And that I think it is possible that the Camera C motor MAY BE bad, but not 100% sure, But maybe that problem is caused by the main pca. However, I just rechecked the resistance of the 2 camera motors. Motor A is about 100-114 ohms, but C is about anywhere from 500 to 1000 plus ohms. That's gotta be a problem but again maybe it is because of brush and commutator locations. And they can't seemingly be spun for some reason--because of the gearing?

Thanks a lot!
    Paul

I got all your PMs.

Yes, it sounds like you're on the right track. If the power supply checks out then it may be OK. You'll have a new main PCA in a couple days so we'll see if that's the problem.

Kiran

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

OK, Kiran. Thanks again very much.

Yeah, I THINK PSU and driver board are OK. But I'm not 100%.

I hope the main pca takes care of it. But am thinking for 55-203 I will have to replace Camera motor C, but not totally sure of that either.

....it has also in the error log 55-523 Sheet not recognized (calibration sheet) but I mentioned that it was not recognized earlier.

Thanks again.
    Paul

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Hi, Kiran. Just want to confirm: For a "4200" scanner, you have a new driver board and new main pca? Right?

I still have a 4200 scanner for which I inquired about 3 years ago about the 50-195 error "stitch write failed" also get at times "SM firmware error".

You told me once to check the o-ring belt. I did, and it seems to be intact.

Thinking I could re-install the software, and see what that does.

Do you have the software to re-install?

I think the steps for 50-195 are:

1. FW upgrade--don't have.

2. Erasure of parameter blocks. ....I have not been able to do on a 4200; I know how to do on a 4500 in Scanner Maintenance.

3. Replace main board.

4. Run scanner maintenance. In scanner maintenance, Keep getting "stitching failed", "fatal FW error", etc.

Thanks,
    Paul

Yes, I have those two boards. I also have a power supply since I'm going to junk my scanner (it's got a bad interface board.) At least the power supply is the same.

I'll PM you about the software.

Do you have the correct calibration sheet? The wrong one could cause a FW error, maybe. There is no updating the firmware. The software does it if it deems necessary, but I've never seen firmware outside of that.

Kiran

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

....yes, I have the correct calibration sheet; however, it is a bit beat up with all the drive roller marks on it. I have successfully calibrated a 4200 with the 4500 calibration sheet. I was surprised but I have done it. It fits tightly but it will work based on my experience. My buddy who worked on my 4200 used a 4500 (I'm pretty sure it was for a 4500) calibration sheet on my 4200 as well.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Well, dang! I replaced the main pca with a new main pca. At first, I scanned a drawing and it appeared in the preview--no black scan!!!! Yee haw!!!! There was a vertical line on the right seemingly in the vicinity of the right stitch wire.

I proceeded to calibrate the scanner.

Under the heading of stitching?/calibrating? camera A (or Camera A view?) I got 55-203 again! Dang it! The horizontal line would not stitch????--they would not match up vertically (under Camera A). It seemed to try several times.

Then error 55-205 " Program has performed alignment. For optimum performance this should be followed by a scanner calibration."

Tried calibration again and get: 55-523 Sheet not recognized.

I tried to scan a drawing. I got a "BLACK" scan again!!!!

I'm at a loss presently.

Do I need to replace Camera A board? Replace driver board? The PSU seemed to supply the right voltages, but what was to be 12V was 12.6V.

I checked voltages at "darker blue wires" coming off of driver board; I get 1.6V, odd voltage. For the blue wire coming from the 6th pin?, counted from front to back, I get 5V.

UPDATE: I replaced driver board, and I get the same--black scan.

I'll try my 4200 PSU on the 4500 next. I don't know exactly what else to try.

Thanks very much,
    Paul
    Last edited by pbrooks259; 05-01-2020 at 02:24 AM.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Thanks Kiran! ....At the admonition of Kiran to "erase parameter blocks", I had them erased again--I had done it already about 3 or 4 times. But this time it worked. I encountered no errors and it calibrated. Seems to work fine.

Perhaps the replacement of one of the circuit boards helped. I replaced, maybe all for nought: main pca, driver board, PSU, all camera boards and the 2 camera motors. For what it's worth, I did install another used lamp. I don't really know if these boards, motors, or lamp made a difference.

But the key at this point was to "erase parameter blocks" again. I don't know why it did not make a difference earlier when I tried it.

Thanks again, Kiran, for all your help!