Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    HP Designjet 4500 Scanner-after a while starts only scanning center one-third only

Re: HP Designjet 4500 Scanner-after a while starts only scanning center one-third onl

So yeah, the moral of the story; always erase the parameter blocks after replacing any boards, then run the standard calibration.

Kiran

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: HP Designjet 4500 Scanner-after a while starts only scanning center one-third onl

I couldn't stand not knowing what specifically fixed it.

I put the old main pca in, and "bingo", it scanned to black.

So as best as I can tell it was indeed a bad main pca that caused the problem.

And a replacement main pca along with "erase parameter codes" fixed it.

Thanks for your help, Kiran!

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pbrooks259 View Post
    I couldn't stand not knowing what specifically fixed it.

I put the old main pca in, and "bingo", it scanned to black.

So as best as I can tell it was indeed a bad main pca that caused the problem.

And a replacement main pca along with "erase parameter codes" fixed it.

Thanks for your help, Kiran!
    Epic win. I think Kiran knowledge and good will guide you through this like a pilot.

Kudos to both of you folks.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Now it seems like a phantom problem. ....the mid-section only scan has occurred once since I did this below--it will probably do it again. I will probably reinstall ALL the replacement boards just to make sure it doesn't happen again. I'm presently testing it to see if it happens again.

I installed all my old original parts, and erased parameter blocks after reinstalling each one, and the scanner appears fine. My only thought is that originally MAYBE POSSIBLY I had a tentative cable connection. (I did discover 2 bent pins for the camera C? socket on the old original main pca, but I think I may have bent those by rocking the connector when I last removed it.) After disconnecting and reconnecting main pca and camera boards a few times, I THINK it is possible that a tentative cable connection was made a GOOD connection. But I am not really sure.

I did get a diagnostic flashing red LED (wait LED - off, ready LED - off), and I got a 55-203 error again. I assume because camera C's motor had run its length--hit a stop. It appeared to have bottomed out. (earlier both arms had been sitting around 9:15--similar to a clock face)

I tried to center both vertical alignment adjustment arms in the center of their adjustment screws. I then tried calibration and no more 55-203 so far.

Again I guess ALL my old original parts were OK after having been removed, replaced, and reinstalled.

I had calibrated it last fall, and the problem it had just popped up and was intermittent for a while scanning only the mid section of a drawing more and more often and then finally only scanning black seemingly starting when I tried to calibrate again for the 1st time since last fall.
    Last edited by pbrooks259; 05-09-2020 at 06:26 PM.