Thumbs up Resolved - HP LaserJet 4200n Error 13.01.00 "PAPER FEED 1, PAPER LATE JAM"

I have an HP LaserJet 4200n which is consistently getting an Error 13.01.00 "PAPER FEED 1, PAPER LATE JAM" If I print more than a few pages. With 3 kids doing school from home now, I print about 200 pages every Monday morning.
    I just replaced all the rollers and separation pads hoping that would resolve the issue, but it did not. When it jams, the paper basically stops moving directly under the toner and just past the feed roller but right before the rubber loop with the ribs on it. Just for grins, I tried doing a 76 page print job from the manual feed Tray 1 and it printed all pages fine with no jams. (It was a lot quieter too)

Any suggestions as to where to go from here would be appreciated. I've seen posts suggesting an issue with the solenoids or the felt surface of one becoming worn, but wouldn't that cause the same issue regardless of being printed from Tray 1 or Tray 2?

Thanks in advance for any assistance
    Last edited by drewb0y; 04-21-2020 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Marked resolved

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    HP LaserJet 4200n Error 13.01.00 "PAPER FEED 1, PAPER LATE JAM"

Re: HP LaserJet 4200n Error 13.01.00 "PAPER FEED 1, PAPER LATE JAM"

Sticky solenoids are very common on printers of this age. Inspecting and re-padding mainly the tray 2 solenoid is part of maintenance now. It's not often we look at the tray 1 solenoid. Tray 1 isn't used as often, but, still degrades just like the tray 2 one does. The tray 1 solenoid only does anything if using the tray 1 to print from.

Quote Originally Posted by Lance15 View Post
    Sticky solenoids are very common on printers of this age. Inspecting and re-padding mainly the tray 2 solenoid is part of maintenance now. It's not often we look at the tray 1 solenoid. Tray 1 isn't used as often, but, still degrades just like the tray 2 one does. The tray 1 solenoid only does anything if using the tray 1 to print from.
    That makes sense. I'll check that out this morning. Thanks! These printers are beasts. Mine is at page count 485511 now. I also have a 4250n that works just fine.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    HP LaserJet 4200n Error 13.01.00 "PAPER FEED 1, PAPER LATE JAM"

Agreed with Lance. Print the pages one at a time, if you get two pages or a jam at the registration with a second blank page, it's definitely tray 2 soliniod.

Quote Originally Posted by copiertec View Post
    Agreed with Lance. Print the pages one at a time, if you get two pages or a jam at the registration with a second blank page, it's definitely tray 2 soliniod.
    Well I just successfully removed and cleaned the solenoid up. The foam pad was definitely degraded. Disassembled and cleaned both metal pieces, the tab on the solenoid where the foam was ended up being still sticky after cleaning so I covered it with a small strip of masking tape. Wrapped a strip of masking tape around the arm to get it to just the right height. Reassembled and ran 1 17 page test print with no issues. It was also quieter.

I followed the steps in this video YouTube

I'll keep an eye on it but with my current supplies level, I should be good for another 10,000 pages or so.

Thanks guys!

Still working great. Just printed 196 pages at a time with absolutely no jams.