Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts JLSam's Avatar

Lightbulb HP Designjet 500 44" and 24" Driver Problems Win10

Heads up!

I have a client where all of their plotters stopped working at once. Turned out all of them had a Windows 10 update. I used my Win10 laptop that had not had the update, and it prints fine (connected directly w/ cross over cable).

I tried using Win7/ Win 8.1/ PCL drivers, as well as a universal driver. That last one gave me a 61:05 error. I even used the newest driver in AutoCads website for Win10x64, that driver version is 8.10. But none of them can print. Yes, I checked the ports, it's going to the right IP. Ping is okay, and I can access the webpage just fine. They are all using JetDirect 620's.

Looks like this last Windows update is about to brick these beautiful old dinosaurs. It's a shame really, these plotters are tanks.

Solution: Dedicated Win7 Desktop with driver shared into the domain. Everyone prints to that print server. Now Windows 10 can update all it wants, as long Microsoft doesn't disable sharing in the future, they should be fine for a long time-I hope.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    HP Designjet 500 44" and 24" Driver Problems Win10

Re: HP Designjet 500 44" and 24" Driver Problems Win10

Quote Originally Posted by JLSam View Post
    Heads up!

I have a client where all of their plotters stopped working at once. Turned out all of them had a Windows 10 update. I used my Win10 laptop that had not had the update, and it prints fine (connected directly w/ cross over cable).

I tried using Win7/ Win 8.1/ PCL drivers, as well as a universal driver. That last one gave me a 61:05 error. I even used the newest driver in AutoCads website for Win10x64, that driver version is 8.10. But none of them can print. Yes, I checked the ports, it's going to the right IP. Ping is okay, and I can access the webpage just fine. They are all using JetDirect 620's.

Looks like this last Windows update is about to brick these beautiful old dinosaurs. It's a shame really, these plotters are tanks.

Solution: Dedicated Win7 Desktop with driver shared into the domain. Everyone prints to that print server. Now Windows 10 can update all it wants, as long Microsoft doesn't disable sharing in the future, they should be fine for a long time-I hope.

JLSam.. if you notice every time they come out with an UPDATE things start going haywire in our industry. There are many threads/comments
    on this latest update.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    JLSam.. if you notice every time they come out with an UPDATE things start going haywire in our industry. There are many threads/comments
    on this latest update.
    They don't care about peripheral technology.

Peripheral tech is a staple of every business. How could they mess up this bad?

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I remember a Windows 10 update a while back that just completely screwed up printing all together. Luckily, I never came across that issue.

This is a known problem with KB4560960. See https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...date-kb4560960

"After installing this update, certain printers might fail to print. The print spooler might throw an error or close unexpectedly when attempting to print, and no output will come from the affected printer. You might also encounter issues with the apps you are attempting to print from. You might receive an error from the app or the app might close unexpectedly."

It indeed interferes with the HP Designjet 500 driver (and likely others), causing explorer.exe to crash when you try to print. Removing the update gets the 500 going again. Hopefully MS will come up with a fix soon.

Kiran

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kiran Otter View Post
    This is a known problem with KB4560960. See https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...date-kb4560960

"After installing this update, certain printers might fail to print. The print spooler might throw an error or close unexpectedly when attempting to print, and no output will come from the affected printer. You might also encounter issues with the apps you are attempting to print from. You might receive an error from the app or the app might close unexpectedly."

It indeed interferes with the HP Designjet 500 driver (and likely others), causing explorer.exe to crash when you try to print. Removing the update gets the 500 going again. Hopefully MS will come up with a fix soon.

Kiran
    Yes indeed Kiran is always the best when it comes to HP. Here is this topic widely discussed in other brands. See CSI post as temporary countermeasures:
    Windows Update Has blocked print cabability!
    Last edited by tsbservice; 06-16-2020 at 06:21 PM.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Microsoft has released a fix. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4567512/windows-10-update-kb4567512

Kiran

edit: Just a note, this fix apparently does not apply to Windows 10 2004. Waiting to see if there's a fix for 2004 still.
    Last edited by Kiran Otter; 06-16-2020 at 10:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiran Otter View Post
    Microsoft has released a fix. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4567512/windows-10-update-kb4567512

Kiran

edit: Just a note, this fix apparently does not apply to Windows 10 2004. Waiting to see if there's a fix for 2004 still.
    WOW! Kiran you are awesome. You're right! I'm forwarding this information to my clients now. Thank you!

Windows 10, version 1903This non-security update includes quality improvements. Key changes include:

• Addresses an issue that might prevent certain printers from printing. The print spooler might generate an error or close unexpectedly when attempting to print, and no output will come from the affected printer. You might also encounter issues with the apps you are attempting to print from, such as receiving an error, or the app might close unexpectedly. This issue might also affect software-based printers, such as when printing to PDF.

I found this (finally) where MS is tracking the printing issue with build 2004. At the moment they're investigating it.

Windows 10, version 2004 and Windows Server, version 2004 - Windows Release Information | Microsoft Docs

And this scenario may exist: If you're on 1903 or 1909, and get the update that breaks printing, you can then manually download the KB4567512 fix so you can print again. Then, update to 2004, and you'll be back to being unable to print again, and KB4567512 can't be applied to 2004.

Kiran

And here's the update for build 2004 of Windows 10. Hopefully this is the end.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...date-kb4567523

Kiran