Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

LJ 700 color MFP M775 wrong toner reporting in Antarctica, please help.

I'm hoping someone has some advice for this toner reporting issue I'm having.

I tried the manual but it's just the basic stuff like replacing toner and replacing the waste bin. I've tried searching this site and haven't found anything. I tried the google machine and HPs own forums, to no avail.

We received a Laserjet 700 color MFP M775 back in February and it isn't reporting correct toner usage and is just eating black cartridges. According to HP the black toner is good for ~13,500 pages & the colors are all ~16,000 pages. Well my first 2 black cartridges only went for about ~6,000 pages before they were out. I'm on my third black toner now with 1,650 pages printed, and an estimated 3,650 remaining. I'm on the initial set of color cartridges that came with the printer. So I haven't had to replace any colors yet as we must print much more B&W than color, but the color reporting is way off too.

You might be saying, well you just got it in Feb, so check with HP for warranty, but that's a problem. I'm actually located at McMurdo Station in Antarctica. So the printer was ordered last May, shipped to California where it was crated up and placed in a shipping container. Then it went onto our resupply vessel which doesn't get here until Janury. So by the time it got received, unpacked and delivered to us for the install it was February. So I only had 3 months usage with it before the warranty expired. Serious bummer.

As you can imagine it's very difficult to get replacement toner since we are sorely lacking in Best Buys down here. Not to mention that's quite an expense to be throwing away partially full toners.

I've tried updating the firmware and under "Copy/Print" --> "Print Quality" --> "Adjust Color" I tried adjusting those settings on the scale of -5 to 5 from 0 down to -5 hoping that was a sort of toner density type setting, but that doesn't seem to have done a whole lot. A couple of us have poked through the settings looking for something, anything, but just aren't seeing anything helpful.

Magenta(CE343A): 2460 printed, >9,800 remaining
    Yellow(CE342A): 2460 printed, 8,650 remaining
    Cyan(CE341A): 2460 printed, 6,250 remaining
    Black(3rd)(CE340A): 1,650 printed, 3,650 remaining

I understand the 13,500 & 16,000 pages number from HP are estimates, but these numbers are way off.

Maybe there is some setting, or something that needs to be tweaked and I'm just not seeing it? Maybe others have had this issue?

Product Name: HP LaserJet 700 color MFP M775
    Model Number: CC523A
    Firmware Bundle Version: 4.10.0.1
    Firmware Revision: 2410035_055356
    Firmware Datecode: 20200205

My boss did say she'd send an Antarctica t-shirt from our store down here to anyone who can come up with the winning answer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!

Re: LJ 700 color MFP M775 wrong toner reporting in Antarctica, please help.

I don't see a way to delete this thread, so I'll just reply and say that I think we have a solution. Not one that actually fixes the printer, just a way to work around it.

Thank you!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    LJ 700 color MFP M775 wrong toner reporting in Antarctica, please help.

And what was your workaround?

What is being printed? Those estimates are based on 5% coverage; which isn't much........really.

Quote Originally Posted by Lance15 View Post
    And what was your workaround?

What is being printed? Those estimates are based on 5% coverage; which isn't much........really.
    I spoke to someone else on a different forum who said that this particular printer seems to be one of the higher cost per print HP's out lately. It's really difficult for us to get more toner, not to mention the expense. We can't send it back, we've got to deal with what we have. So our work around is to just place a separate extra B&W printer we have with this one and use that for general printing. Then restricting color printing on the 775 to only those who really need it.