Senior Tech 100+ Posts

L26500/Latex 260-continual "replace faulty ink cartridge" the Black ink cartridge

At 1st I had a bad Ink Supply Station ISS pca--K & C ink cartridges had been marked "replace" and I had a "broken bag" error. I replaced the ISS pca's with new ones and it had been printing OK for about 2 months thereafter.
    Again after about 2 months of printing, ALL STS (compatible) ink cartridges start flashing "replace"--the 4 top and LM--LC is OEM (did not flash "replace"). Reseated them and printed some more tests. Then they ALL started flashing "replace" again. (I'm sure some would say: "That's the problem--the STS inks." And I might be a bit inclined to agree.)

I reseated them all resulting in ALL the top row flashing "replace".

I reseated the top row resulting in K and Y flashing "replace". STS had me run my fingertip along the internal cartridge contacts for both Y & K contacts to detect a beep. They beeped. They sent Y & K replacements.

I installed the 2 replacement ink cartridges. It printed and was OK for about 16 hours. Then same thing happened again--ALL STS inks flashing "replace", then ALL top row inks flashing "replace".
    But this time ultimately only K is flashing "replace".

Again I replaced the ISS boards a few months ago when I was having a "broken bag" error and a couple cartridges marked "replace" at that time--K & C.

I'm thinking my new top ISS board is bad, but not sure. What seems to be a telltale sign to me anyway is that at some point again ALL the top row flash "replace" until I reseat all. But the difference this time is again only K is left flashing.

I doubt STS sent me 2 bad K cartridges in a row. And I doubted earlier that a Y & K cartridge would fail simultaneously. So again I'm thinking the top ISS board is bad, but again I don't really know.

But I wonder whether if I had all OEM HP ink, it would be OK.

If it is not the top ISS pca or the ISS pca's, what would be next to replace? The Sausalito board? The Printmech board? I'm thinking Sausalito board.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    L26500/Latex 260-continual "replace faulty ink cartridge" the Black ink cartridge

Re: L26500/Latex 260-continual "replace faulty ink cartridge" the Black ink cartridge

Quote Originally Posted by pbrooks259 View Post
    At 1st I had a bad Ink Supply Station ISS pca--K & C ink cartridges had been marked "replace" and I had a "broken bag" error. I replaced the ISS pca's with new ones and it had been printing OK for about 2 months thereafter.
    Again after about 2 months of printing, ALL STS (compatible) ink cartridges start flashing "replace"--the 4 top and LM--LC is OEM (did not flash "replace"). Reseated them and printed some more tests. Then they ALL started flashing "replace" again. (I'm sure some would say: "That's the problem--the STS inks." And I might be a bit inclined to agree.)

I reseated them all resulting in ALL the top row flashing "replace".

I reseated the top row resulting in K and Y flashing "replace". STS had me run my fingertip along the internal cartridge contacts for both Y & K contacts to detect a beep. They beeped. They sent Y & K replacements.

I installed the 2 replacement ink cartridges. It printed and was OK for about 16 hours. Then same thing happened again--ALL STS inks flashing "replace", then ALL top row inks flashing "replace".
    But this time ultimately only K is flashing "replace".

Again I replaced the ISS boards a few months ago when I was having a "broken bag" error and a couple cartridges marked "replace" at that time--K & C.

I'm thinking my new top ISS board is bad, but not sure. What seems to be a telltale sign to me anyway is that at some point again ALL the top row flash "replace" until I reseat all. But the difference this time is again only K is left flashing.

I doubt STS sent me 2 bad K cartridges in a row. And I doubted earlier that a Y & K cartridge would fail simultaneously. So again I'm thinking the top ISS board is bad, but again I don't really know.

But I wonder whether if I had all OEM HP ink, it would be OK.

If it is not the top ISS pca or the ISS pca's, what would be next to replace? The Sausalito board? The Printmech board? I'm thinking Sausalito board.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

i never used/approved of compatible ink.

you have messed up the PH and possibly a board ..

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: L26500/Latex 260-continual "replace faulty ink cartridge" the Black ink cartridge

Phil B., did you mean I have messed up the ink cartridge and possibly a board? (black ink is flashing "faulty")

Or are you saying this all stems from messing up a printhead?

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pbrooks259 View Post
    Phil B., did you mean I have messed up the ink cartridge and possibly a board? (black ink is flashing "faulty")

Or are you saying this all stems from messing up a printhead?
    the ink has messed up the PH. Compatible ink cannot use the same formulation as genuine OEM ink.

the messed up printhead more than likely has also fried a board.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

The 3rd party inks are always suspect #1. You have to rule them out before pointing the finger at hardware.

Realize you can have 1 ink cartridge that throws off its neighbors, just like with printheads. For example, you have no inks installed, and install the yellow, the front panel says OK, then you install the black, and now the yellow says replace? You have a bad black cartridge. So while you shouldn't use refilled inks in the first place, you may just have one that's causing a short of some kind and making the others say reseat. If it works at times, the ISS PCAs should be fine. When they fail you can't get the printer to take any ink cartridges.

Kiran

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

FWIW, the problem was a bad printmech pca to Ink Supply Station pca cable, the about 38" 10 wire flat cable--for some reason wires #4 & #10 appeared to have a degree of resistance in them. I replaced it and got beyond the "replace faulty ink cartridge" for ALL ink cartridges.

It has been working OK now for about 9 days.