Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    HP 550 Sheet Feed Tray No Detect

Title pretty much says it all, I don't have much training on HP stuff but unless I'm totally off base here these devices should pretty much be plug'n'play.

Sorry in advance I only have second hand user info so far and haven't really done anything yet. That being said I can't even think of applicable theories as to what could be the issue there, I'm planning on updating firmware and detaching it to check for debris or something in the connector. I may be able to get my hands on another tray to isolate the issue to the engine or the accessory. Beyond that I'm just looking for your thoughts.

Any ideas?

The printer is an HP Laserjet Pro M428fdw
    The tray is HP Home
    And the printer isn't listed in the compatibility list for this feeder but the part number in the repair manual (D9P29A-69001) seems to get me to the same place unless I'm missing something.

Thanks in advance guys, hopefully I won't be this green forever!

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: HP 550 Sheet Feed Tray No Detect

Quote Originally Posted by M94 View Post
    Title pretty much says it all, I don't have much training on HP stuff but unless I'm totally off base here these devices should pretty much be plug'n'play.
    Sorry in advance I only have second hand user info so far and haven't really done anything yet. That being said I can't even think of applicable theories as to what could be the issue there, I'm planning on updating firmware and detaching it to check for debris or something in the connector. I may be able to get my hands on another tray to isolate the issue to the engine or the accessory. Beyond that I'm just looking for your thoughts. Any ideas?
    The printer is an HP Laserjet Pro M428fdw
    The tray is HP Home
    And the printer isn't listed in the compatibility list for this feeder but the part number in the repair manual (D9P29A-69001) seems to get me to the same place unless I'm missing something.
    Thanks in advance guys, hopefully I won't be this green forever!
    the compatibility guide is usually right... just because the connector fits.. doesn't mean the wiring pinouts are the same.

that being said .. customers lie. plain n simple.

are they saying it isn't detected because the print driver doesn't show it?

did they install it?

if so they could have fubar'd the connector.

did they do a devise update in the print driver?

so many Q's

Phil B. " The Dentist "

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: HP 550 Sheet Feed Tray No Detect

Thanks for the quick response Phil. I don't have the answers for a lot of what you asked yet, I know there's quite a bit up in the air at this point.

As for the compatibility of the feeder, like I said the service manual for the printer lists that DP29A part number for the sheet feeder that can also be found on the product page. Unless there's a better way to double check I'm running off the assumption that the number in the manual matching the product page should be accurate.

The driver avenue is definitely worth looking into but regardless of the driver state I should be able to see\access it from the operation panel correct? My understanding is that trying to run tray setup through the MFP panel doesn't list it as an option at all.

Like I said I'm just trying to go to them armed with as many ideas as possible so that I don't overlook anything, I will be going onsite in a couple hours so I should be able to post back with better information when I get back.

Thank you again for any ideas and suggestions.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: HP 550 Sheet Feed Tray No Detect (SOLVED)

Well I don't know how useful this is to anyone but I hate when people don't post back solutions, so here it is.

The MFP itself simply wasn't registering the additional tray. I had an identical MFP that I set on the tray that immediately registered and used the tray without issue. We had tried a second feeder, a factory default reset, clean driver installations, and firmware without any luck. Finally one of my co-workers informed me that we had an identical printer at the office that was meant for another job. It immediately took to the additional tray before even hooking it up to a network or driver or anything else, you could see and set the tray from the MFP panel with no additional work required.

So there you go, we will be warrantying the faulty device through HP.
    Best guess still resides with some sort of hardware fault in the control board(s) I suppose.
    Thanks Phil for taking a shot at it.

Edit > Is there a way to mark the thread as solved?

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: HP 550 Sheet Feed Tray No Detect (SOLVED)

Quote Originally Posted by M94 View Post
    Well I don't know how useful this is to anyone but I hate when people don't post back solutions, so here it is.

The MFP itself simply wasn't registering the additional tray. I had an identical MFP that I set on the tray that immediately registered and used the tray without issue. We had tried a second feeder, a factory default reset, clean driver installations, and firmware without any luck. Finally one of my co-workers informed me that we had an identical printer at the office that was meant for another job. It immediately took to the additional tray before even hooking it up to a network or driver or anything else, you could see and set the tray from the MFP panel with no additional work required.

So there you go, we will be warrantying the faulty device through HP.
    Best guess still resides with some sort of hardware fault in the control board(s) I suppose.
    Thanks Phil for taking a shot at it.

Edit > Is there a way to mark the thread as solved?
    You just did.. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk