Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Hp DesignJet 5500 cautionary tale

Re: Hp DesignJet 5500 cautionary tale

Well, got the trailing cable installed. It really wasn’t nearly as complicated than I anticipated. The only problem I had was putting the black bracket/clip thing on the cable the right way (where it folds over). My brain really fought reality on that one. Thank god I had a nice clean 6’ table to work on. I taped the new and old side-by-side (carriage end only) and used the old as a model. I used electrical tape to help feeding through the machine (avoiding the foil ends). One thing that drove me crazy was one of the cables was packaged backwards so when turned around the bend from packaging was wrong and simply annoying.

Now, I am confident PSU is bad because it does not send the 12v to the HDD (well does for about one second). This is a little disconcerting as I know the drive was spinning before. I was able to trace the 12v lead to the PSU. Funny how they used a generic computer motherboard connector but looks like a slightly different pinouts). I did not bring my testers, but happened to have a computer PSU tester and was only able to test the 4 pin HDD power connector. So that is as far as I got—I am assuming a bad capacitor.

I took the HDD home to test and if it works I will be mirroring the data.

Ok guys, I got this dinosaur up and running.

It was the PSU.

Some notes:
    I thought I was being a genius by hot-wiring a computer PSU to the HDD with the HP PSU connected to everything else.
    If you do this with a lack of the 12v from the HP PSU you will (or I did) get a Trailing Cable not installed correctly error (sorry I forget the exact wording/error code). This of course made question life until the new PSU arrived from over the pond.

On a side note, I noticed that there was air in most of the lines on the carriage side. I used a syringe to get it out and ordered a set of the nozzles that the printheads insert into. Any other suggestions?

Also, the HDD had something like 5-6 partitions, I do intend on mirroring the drive or using the guide posted earlier to make a backup drive as a precaution (if I ever get to it).

Congrats on getting it running. That's interesting about the 12V and powering the drive independently, I would have assumed that would work. I guess the 12V rail does more than just power the hard drive.

I wish you luck trying to replace just the ink plenums for the carriage. Let us know how that goes. I've always just replaced the tube assembly as a whole.

Kiran

Quote Originally Posted by Kiran Otter View Post
    Congrats on getting it running. That's interesting about the 12V and powering the drive independently, I would have assumed that would work. I guess the 12V rail does more than just power the hard drive.

I wish you luck trying to replace just the ink plenums for the carriage. Let us know how that goes. I've always just replaced the tube assembly as a whole.

Kiran
    Yes, and the 2 LEDs on the back of the machine seem to represent the 12v and the 5v. I tried manually applying 12v to the HDD power connector for a second. The lines got super hot and let a bit a smoke out but the LED that wasn't lighting, lit up (I suspect the old PSU was creating far too much resistance hence the heat)

This method could possibly be a fix for a lack of 12v but is for someone braver than me (e.g., eliminating the 12v lead from the PSU and supplying it manually).

The plenums are fairly easy to replace. That I have done before. The only issue is trying to get the old ones off without having to cut the tubes and thereby shortening the tubes.

You should make a video of replacing the plenums, if you can. I'm sure that would be useful to a lot of people.

Kiran

You should make a video of replacing the plenums, if you can. I'm sure that would be useful to a lot of people.

Kiran
    What is funny about that is I thought about making my millions on a copy machine repair YouTube channel.

The issue I have (other than editing--college educated on it--just hate it) is that my "expertise" is with Konica Minolta copy machines. They could come after me as all upper-level documentation/software is "confidential." And I would probably come under-fire for eliminating tech jobs.

I do not have a tripod attachment for my phone, but this might be a good excuse to get one (or get the adhesive strip, toothpicks and rubber bands out).

I wish I found this information first before disconnecting the ribbon Cables on the main PCA. Is it possible to blow the Carriage or PCA boards when installing the ribbon cables at J1, J2 and J3 in the reverse order? I realized the mistake I made and corrected it but I am still getting a Power Supply Error #1 when I power up. I repaired the Ribbon cable ends which are holding up well when I reseated them correctly, J1 to J1 , J2 to J2 and J3 to J3. I will purchase new ribbon cable if need be but I am wondering if I Fried the Carriage or PCA board. The PSU was tested by a tech and works well. If the boards are toast, would I get a different error?

HP 5500 Desinjet

Yes! Absolutely avoid disconnecting the trailing cable on these printers if not necessary. It's very easy to blow either the carriage or main PCA by trying to plug the cables back in and the little fingers going everywhichway (technical term.) It's even worse on the 1050C model A because there's no fuse to protect the main PCA.

Even if I'm doing a belt on the 5500 or 1050Cs, I'll keep the trailing cable connected, and unfasten the trailing cable holder in the middle of the machine, and if that's not enough, the one where the cable bends and goes down through the aluminum casting, just to avoid disconnecting it.

Kiran

Attachment 46644

User message "Power Supply Error #1"

This error indicates a short in the 24V electronics circuits. Do not replace the Power Supply; This message only indicates the failure, and is not the cause. Usually this message appears after the insertion of a Trailing Cable into the connectors. This message means that the Trailing cable is incorrectly connected, and it is creating a short on the 24V circuit.

I'd follow the steps in the service manual to troubleshoot this condition.

https://laserpros.com/img/manuals/hp...ing-manual.pdf

Kiran

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I know this is four years too late for the OP but the trick I use to replace those plenums is to use a hair dryer to soften the tube material. Slips right off. Then repeat to slip the tubes back on. I wouldn't try a heat gun though; too much heat, too fast.