Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Old man

Technician
    Old man

Old man

Need some help pls.

designjet t610, display showed error 86:01. Look inside and carriage drive belt is shredded.

Once I replaced the belt and With the power off I can move the print head easily from left to right. No dry spots just smooth.

when I turn on the printer ( print head is in the middle Of print path) the print head tries to drive and moves maybe 1/16” and instantly shows 86:01 error.
    things I have checked.
    ribbon cable it plugged in correctly. No metal contacts pushed up
    encoder cable is clean and in good shape
    One more strange symptom. Even with the cover open the head wants to try to drive. It seems like it should be telling me to close the cover first.

I have replaced many drive belts on many diff models but never have seen a problem like this. Any clues.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Old man

Re: Old man

Quote Originally Posted by bmijoe View Post
    Need some help pls.
    designjet t610, display showed error 86:01. Look inside and carriage drive belt is shredded.
    Once I replaced the belt and With the power off I can move the print head easily from left to right. No dry spots just smooth.
    when I turn on the printer ( print head is in the middle Of print path) the print head tries to drive and moves maybe 1/16” and instantly shows 86:01 error.
    things I have checked.
    ribbon cable it plugged in correctly. No metal contacts pushed up
    encoder cable is clean and in good shape
    One more strange symptom. Even with the cover open the head wants to try to drive. It seems like it should be telling me to close the cover first. I have replaced many drive belts on many diff models but never have seen a problem like this. Any clues.

did you replace the tensioner properly?

did the belt notches line up properly ?

did you start on repair when the head was parked?

did you clean and lube the rails?

check this link out HP Designjet T-Series Printers - System Error 86:01 and System Error 42:10 | HP(R) Customer Support

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Old man

Re: Old man

Based on what you describe, you have some kind of encoder strip issue. Either it's not installed properly, not run through the sensor in the carriage, or you have a bad encoder sensor on the carriage PCA. Or possibly a very bad/dirty/damaged encoder strip. I believe the encoder sensor is soldered to the carriage PCA so you have to replace the PCA to replace the sensor.

It could also be a bad trailing cable or even the main PCA but I doubt it.

Make sure you test it with no consumables installed as well.

Kiran