Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Need a printer cable

Does anyone have a source for a RELIABLE USB to parallel port cable that will work with win 10? Trying to connect an HP 1055CM to a laptop running windows 10 and keep getting error messages saying driver not available. However, it does work on another identical laptop running Windows 7. Did some searching and it appears the IEEE-1284 cable isn't compatible with the latest update of Window 10. There's tons of the cables on Amazon and on Ebay but mixed results as far as if they work or not. Looking to see if anyone is using one and has a good source to buy.

Thanks for any help!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Need a printer cable

Re: Need a printer cable

I can't recommend a cable but, the Windows Vista x64 drivers work just fine on Windows 10 for the 1050/1055.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/softw...00wx64glen.exe

Kiran

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Need a printer cable

Quote Originally Posted by D Hook View Post
    Does anyone have a source for a RELIABLE USB to parallel port cable that will work with win 10? Trying to connect an HP 1055CM to a laptop running windows 10 and keep getting error messages saying driver not available. However, it does work on another identical laptop running Windows 7. Did some searching and it appears the IEEE-1284 cable isn't compatible with the latest update of Window 10. There's tons of the cables on Amazon and on Ebay but mixed results as far as if they work or not. Looking to see if anyone is using one and has a good source to buy.

Thanks for any help!
    What driver is the Windows 7 using. That same driver should work on Windows 10.

Any reason you cannot use a the installed HP Jetdirect 600 N 10/100 TX (J3113A).

It also comes with a serial port. USB to serial cables are much more dependable than USB to parallel.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

No problem with the printer driver on Win10. BTW, I've used the Designjet 5500PS driver before on the 1055CM models and it works great also and gives a better interface for the user.

Worked on it yesterday for awhile and found the cable he was trying to use wasn't communicating with the printer. So we first hooked up my laptop to the printer using my own cable and using Win10 on my laptop and it worked just fine. So we switched my cable back to his laptop and got it to work also. So the problem was in the cable, not the Designjet driver. When we tried it with his cable it kept asking for the driver for the IEEE-1284 device, which I guess is the chip in the cable. And of course, Windows 10 doesn't seem to be compatible with the IEEE-1284 driver and just gives a message that the driver is not available and cannot be found when it searches for it.

What I'm looking for is another cable similar to what I have that will work. I have several cables that LOOK the same, with the USB connector for the laptop and the Centrix connector that goes into the back of the printer but most don't work or Windows 10 asks for the IEEE-1284 driver, which doesn't work with Windows 10 anymore, even though I've downloaded drivers for the cable that CLAIM to work with Windows 10 but don't. Don't ask why the cable I have works just fine while others don't because I'm not sure.

So my search is for a cable that maybe someone has used or is using with their printer that successfully is accepted by Windows 10. Just looking for a source of the cable so I can buy a replacement. I left mine with the client so he can use his printer. I've bought several of these over the years and sometimes they work just fine and other times they just won't communicate w/the printer.

My next challenge is to hook it up via ethernet cable instead of USB. I'm guessing it needs a cross over cable, not a standard networking cable, correct?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Need a printer cable

My next challenge is to hook it up via ethernet cable instead of USB. I'm guessing it needs a cross over cable, not a standard networking cable, correct?
    Correct. Or get a little 4 port hub to put between them. Personally I'd go the ethernet route no matter what. It's faster and easier. If the user has no LAN, you'll need to configure both the NIC on the PC and the printer to have an IP address in the same subnet, etc. But that's easy.

Also I want to note, the serial port is not for end-user use. It is for testing and manufacturing purposes only, per the owner's manual.

Kiran

If the printer has a network port
    your problem is solve.
    Printing via USB to parallel port is dead. Upgrade equipment.
    add a switch if another network drop is not available

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Need a printer cable

Years ago yes but a computer that old would not be compatible with Windows 10. Port controller chips used now are capable of detecting the polarity of the other device. The only time a small switch would be needed would be if there will be more than 2 devices connected together such as the computer, the printer and an internet connection. In the case of an internet connection you might need a router.