Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Hp m477 fuser rebuild

Hp m477 fuser rebuild

Just wondering, has anyone rebuilt one of these and if so how did it work out? I've got a few of these in the field and they would last twice as long if the fuser films didn't go out so quickly. Buying the entire assy new from HP is cost prohibitive, but I've seen the films on sale dirt cheap. I've tried rebuilding other HP printer fusers in the past with varying degrees of success, more bad than good. Just wondering if it's worth the time.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Hp m477 fuser rebuild

Re: Hp m477 fuser rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Just wondering, has anyone rebuilt one of these and if so how did it work out? I've got a few of these in the field and they would last twice as long if the fuser films didn't go out so quickly. Buying the entire assy new from HP is cost prohibitive, but I've seen the films on sale dirt cheap. I've tried rebuilding other HP printer fusers in the past with varying degrees of success, more bad than good. Just wondering if it's worth the time.
    as far as I know HP doesn't part out the fuser.. do not use aftermarket parts. if you replace the film only you are going to have issues.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Hp m477 fuser rebuild

Have tried to no avail! One roller(orange one) that goes bad 99% of the time, have seen them with 10K and some with 100K, then roller just wrinkle's, always on same side, left side, gear side, looking from back, will leave poor fusing. Rollers available from Amazon, Alibaba, and others, have tried em both, they will work for 100-300 clicks, then BAM! Same problem, roller looks good and study fuser, well.... if you find a good source for the rollers, please feel free to let us know. Those fusers are definitely not one's that like to be disassembled, metal/housing is very weak and can be altered/ hence I think they get disfigured and not the same after rebuilding. But, hey, give a shot. I gave up,

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Hp m477 fuser rebuild

That's what I figured but thought I'd ask. Too much trouble to even get out and put back in for such a small chance of success. I wish they'd make them like the HP 4100's or 4015's where you just pop the back cover off and plug and play easy swap. It's a shame too, that is one machine that you can get decent aftermarket toners for and run reasonably cheap. The new M479 that replaced it must have been engineered to keep the aftermarket people from making them, they can't seem to make the chips for it. I figure HP must have planned it that way cause even though the machines are nearly identical except for the toners, they jacked the price up on the OEM cartridges even though the yields are the same.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Hp m477 fuser rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by tech28 View Post
    Have tried to no avail! One roller(orange one) that goes bad 99% of the time, have seen them with 10K and some with 100K, then roller just wrinkle's, always on same side, left side, gear side, looking from back, will leave poor fusing. Rollers available from Amazon, Alibaba, and others, have tried em both, they will work for 100-300 clicks, then BAM! Same problem, roller looks good and study fuser, well.... if you find a good source for the rollers, please feel free to let us know. Those fusers are definitely not one's that like to be disassembled, metal/housing is very weak and can be altered/ hence I think they get disfigured and not the same after rebuilding. But, hey, give a shot. I gave up,
    Not only the rollers fail. They don't supply bushings that can get wobbled out.
    My boss wanted to rebuild them. Myself (serv mgr) and my buddy the OPS Mgr/IT tried to do it *we had quite a few cores) he was handy but too much of an ape, and would force things.
    WE finally all agreed F.I.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Copier Technician 1,000+ Posts
    Hp m477 fuser rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Don't waste your time on fitting cheap China parts {rubbish} just replace oem fuser assembly
    Regards Mark

FOR TRADE AND END USER SERVICE CALLS PLEASE VISIT WEB SITE FOR CONTACT DETAILS. COVERING GREATER LONDON {UK} AND ALL SURROUNDING COUNTIES.

RICOH, CANON, KYOCERA, KONICA, SHARP, HP/SAMSUNG BROTHER, LEXMARK.

https://copierservices.simdif.com

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Hp m477 fuser rebuild

Same with ALL compatible parts & toner they are NEVER as reliable is the genuine or original manufactures.

If you run ANY machine on genuine parts you can 100% guarantee reliability.

This is based on 30+ years of experience in this industry.

You only have to look at the posts on this site most issues are due to techs using crappy parts.

Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Hp m477 fuser rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by tech28 View Post
    Rollers available from Amazon, Alibaba, and others, have tried em both, they will work for 100-300 clicks, then BAM!
    Did you put new fuser grease on the heating element that the film slides over?

I must admit the original films aint that great they seem to attract paper dust and then get complaints of burning smells.
    When you think you have made a procedure idiot proof your company employs a better idiot.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Hp m477 fuser rebuild

I wish sales guys would do more service research before selling these devices. If it costs more in parts and man hours to perform simple consumable replacements then DON'T SELL IT. Most HP color units now is not serviceable. Black and white you will some good models like the M608 wherein the fuser and feed rollers come out with no tools.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Hi Guys,
    i did swap a non duplex M477 fuser to a M477 duplex far a bad film.

i had to swap out all the duplex components. but it was strait forward.

i did notice that the DC control board, on the NON duplex machine didn't have the two P/J's on the board for the duplex fusers extra plugs.

so, you can convert a non duplex fuser to a duplex machine, but not vice versa.

i have been waiting for someone to state that out loud what JR2ALTA, that these color boxes are not meant to be serviced.

i just thought it was me getting old. cost prohibitive, and a total pain.

have a great weekend, and be well.

Jim