Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    60.00.02 no tray to paper lift, clunking noise

I have a customer, purchased a used HP Enterprise M605. It made a clunking noise and gave an 60.00.02 error code, indicating no paper lift in tray 2.

If I put just a couple of sheets of paper, it would lift, but it wouldn't lift even 50 sheets, without the gear hopping, and throwing a code. I inspected the machine from the rear, and noticed the paper cassette guide seemed to be hopping around. I noticed some damage to the bottom frame, and did my best to straighten it out.
    m605a.jpg

I removed the formatter, and the paper cassette guide plate. Although there're two places for screws to mount the guide plate, there's only one screw.

m605b.jpg

I drilled a hole in the frame, and installed a screw in the second spot, and this solved my problem.

m605c.jpg

I hope this trick helps someone else...

Robin

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: 60.00.02 no tray to paper lift, clunking noise

Been a while since I posted here, and I messed up the title. Doh...

Hope you're all surviving this crazy world....

Glad you figured out a fix.
    You mentioned the paper tray guide was hopping around. How was the tray itself? I've seen this happen on the older models (4250 in particular) with the clunking noise and a paper lift error. The rear guide wouldn't stay in place. I noticed that the plastic that gripped onto the "rail" inside the tray was cracked. Generally a well-placed screw through the paper tray and the rear guide would keep it in place, and avoid future lift errors. Saved from replacing the tray. The only downside is the customer was limited to one size of paper. Most only used 8.5x11 anyway.

Please forgive my lack of proper terminology in describing the tray. It's 6:15 am, and I'm going from memory. I haven't checked a M605 recently to see if the trays have the slots to make things visible. (Maybe I saw the teeth along the rail on the underside of the tray?)

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by techie0419 View Post
    Glad you figured out a fix.
    You mentioned the paper tray guide was hopping around. How was the tray itself? I've seen this happen on the older models (4250 in particular) with the clunking noise and a paper lift error. The rear guide wouldn't stay in place. I noticed that the plastic that gripped onto the "rail" inside the tray was cracked. Generally a well-placed screw through the paper tray and the rear guide would keep it in place, and avoid future lift errors. Saved from replacing the tray. The only downside is the customer was limited to one size of paper. Most only used 8.5x11 anyway.

Please forgive my lack of proper terminology in describing the tray. It's 6:15 am, and I'm going from memory. I haven't checked a M605 recently to see if the trays have the slots to make things visible. (Maybe I saw the teeth along the rail on the underside of the tray?)

I know exactly what you're talking about, and that was the first thing I looked at. This particular M605 had very low use, and the paper tray looked almost new. Loosening the rear guide actually helped to get it to feed paper, but I had to loosen it so far, that it read the wrong paper size. The trick was removing the duplex assy, and watching it from the back. Then it was obvious that the tray guide was bouncing around. I wedged a piece of paper above the guide to stiffen it up, and that worked, but was not a viable repair. Drilling the hole and adding the screw was the trick, too bad some bean counter at HP decided not to put one in there...