Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts

HP COLOR LASERJET PRO M281 error code

Hey guys. Have one of these printers showing the error ‘ Supply Memory Error’. Customer not using genuine HP Consumables, could this be the cause or is it firmware related?

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: HP COLOR LASERJET PRO M281 error code

Quote Originally Posted by Leebs14 View Post
    Hey guys. Have one of these printers showing the error ‘ Supply Memory Error’. Customer not using genuine HP Consumables, could this be the cause or is it firmware related?
    compatible toner issue.

Technician

Yeah, its a thing now. The latest update blocks any 3rd party supply.
    You should be able to downgrade your printers firmware
    Be sure to disable any network interfaces on the printer, use USB cable to downgrade
    Removing 3rd party toners before updating helps. You can leave the printer empty

First in the printer :
    1. Settings -> Service -> Laserjet Update -> Manage Updates -> Allow Downgrade -> YES
    2. Settings -> Service -> Laserjet Update -> Manage Updates -> Check Automatically -> OFF

On the PC:
    3. downlolad 20200612 update Dropbox - HP_LaserJet_Pro_M280_M281_Printer_series_20200612. exe - Simplify your life
    4. Open the update, choose your printer and update the printer
    5. Check after updating if the settings in point 1. and 2. are left as you set them.

This issue applies now on theese printers:

HP Color Laserjet M254nw
    HP Color Laserjet M254dw
    HP Color Laserjet M280nw
    HP Color Laserjet M281dn

HP Color Laserjet M154A
    HP Color Laserjet M154nw
    HP Color Laserjet M180
    HP Color Laserjet M181
    HP Color Laserjet M191FW

Here are the links for the working firmwares:

Dropbox - HP_Color_LaserJet_Pro_M254_dw_Printer_series_20200 612.exe - Simplify your life
    Dropbox - HP_LaserJet_M153_M154_Printer_series_20200612.exe - Simplify your life
    Dropbox - HP_Laserjet_Pro_M180_M181_series_20200612.exe - Simplify your life
    Dropbox - HP_LaserJet_Pro_M280_M281_Printer_series_20200612. exe - Simplify your life

Screenshot from the latest firmware update on hp.com, see the discription
    Screenshot 2020-11-20 18.31.37.jpg

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Bad toner cartridge, just replace it. It's chipped, have had many over time do that.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Updating firmware will certainly will block after market toner use. HP has started doing it to some HP's. Particularly the color machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Obtex View Post
    Yeah, its a thing now. The latest update blocks any 3rd party supply.
    You should be able to downgrade your printers firmware
    Be sure to disable any network interfaces on the printer, use USB cable to downgrade
    Removing 3rd party toners before updating helps. You can leave the printer empty

First in the printer :
    1. Settings -> Service -> Laserjet Update -> Manage Updates -> Allow Downgrade -> YES
    2. Settings -> Service -> Laserjet Update -> Manage Updates -> Check Automatically -> OFF

On the PC:
    3. downlolad 20200612 update Dropbox - HP_LaserJet_Pro_M280_M281_Printer_series_20200612. exe - Simplify your life
    4. Open the update, choose your printer and update the printer
    5. Check after updating if the settings in point 1. and 2. are left as you set them.

This issue applies now on theese printers:

HP Color Laserjet M254nw
    HP Color Laserjet M254dw
    HP Color Laserjet M280nw
    HP Color Laserjet M281dn

HP Color Laserjet M154A
    HP Color Laserjet M154nw
    HP Color Laserjet M180
    HP Color Laserjet M181
    HP Color Laserjet M191FW

Here are the links for the working firmwares:

Dropbox - HP_Color_LaserJet_Pro_M254_dw_Printer_series_20200 612.exe - Simplify your life
    Dropbox - HP_LaserJet_M153_M154_Printer_series_20200612.exe - Simplify your life
    Dropbox - HP_Laserjet_Pro_M180_M181_series_20200612.exe - Simplify your life
    Dropbox - HP_LaserJet_Pro_M280_M281_Printer_series_20200612. exe - Simplify your life

Screenshot from the latest firmware update on hp.com, see the discription
    Screenshot 2020-11-20 18.31.37.jpg
    Hello. I have been looking for the HP Color Laserjet M254nw firmware. Can't you get this firmware? The one you’re sharing is the 254dw model and I’ve tried this in every way I saw on the internet to downgrade and it always gives me the fatal error 65. I think this error is due to this not being the exact firmware for the "nw" model. I was looking on the HP FTP site and they no longer have this update, they only have the last one for both models (the one that causes the supply problem). Thank you in advance for all the help you can give.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyontheroom View Post
    Hello. I have been looking for the HP Color Laserjet M254nw firmware. Can't you get this firmware? The one you’re sharing is the 254dw model and I’ve tried this in every way I saw on the internet to downgrade and it always gives me the fatal error 65. I think this error is due to this not being the exact firmware for the "nw" model. I was looking on the HP FTP site and they no longer have this update, they only have the last one for both models (the one that causes the supply problem). Thank you in advance for all the help you can give.
    a quick internet search found this: HP Color Laserjet M254nw firmware HP Color LaserJet Pro M254nw Software and Driver Downloads | HP(R) Customer Support

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    a quick internet search found this: HP Color Laserjet M254nw firmware HP Color LaserJet Pro M254nw Software and Driver Downloads | HP(R) Customer Support
    Thanks! But this version (the one on this link, is 20201021) is the one that causes the problem. The version I need is the June version (20200612) which is the previous version to the one you found.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyontheroom View Post
    Thanks! But this version (the one on this link, is 20201021) is the one that causes the problem. The version I need is the June version (20200612) which is the previous version to the one you found.
    well someone may have a older version.

I found the firmware for the M254nw. The rfu file is in the description of this video: HP COLOR M181 / M281 Проблема с материалами. Прошивка. Firmware Downgrade - YouTube

And the exe file is on this site: Black compa Hp Color pro M280,M281,M254-3.2K 203X

but I was unable to remove the installed unauthorized supplies message. The fatal error message 65 is no longer occurring, but I have still not been able to recognize the unofficial toners, although I tried in several ways. I still had the old HP toners and when I put them in, everything was fine, but as soon as I put the other toners in, the message appears. I think I'll have to buy the originals...