Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    HP T790 error code 2113, carriage does not move

Looking through the book, if I'm reading this right, it indicates the ink service station (ISS). I removed the right hand cover to see if there
    was any movement of the ISS and there was none. The carriage was not in the station when I arrived. The belt appears in good condition
    but after reading a couple of posts about the posts that hold the belt in place I will have to have a closer look.
    I'm told that this machine gets infrequent use and one of the engineers needed to use it, they never turn it off. I can move the carriage from
    one side to the other. It feels smooth but I can tell it will need a couple drops of oil before I am done. Back to the ISS,
    I lowered the spittoon under it enough to see a large blob of black ink. I'm guessing this is the original ISS. The book sez power down and up the
    printer. At about 89 or 90% of the start up it throws up the code. Probably to much ink build up?
    Back in the office I started reading about the service mode and how to get into it but after it gives the code the home screen was not displayed.

I feel pretty sure it will need the ISS replaced but thought after not having any service calls for the last three months I should post this on the boards
    to increase my odds of actually making some money. This account is an aerospace company with a bunch of engineers that did not know what the
    model number was but knew it was a servo problem.

Has anyone else seen this happen on this printer? And is there a way to get into service mode without the home screen?

Thanks

DR

Re: HP T790 error code 2113, carriage does not move

I just had one that needed the service station replaced because it was an absolute mess. I think it's about $95 from HP so it's not a big deal to replace.

To enter the diagnostics menu, follow the manual:

Entering the Diagnostics Menu
    1. Make sure the product is switched off with the Power key on the side of the Touch Screen Panel,
    and not with the power switch on the back of the product.
    2. Press and release the Power key to switch on the product.
    3. Wait for about 10 seconds until the 6 buttons on the Touch Control Panel have come on and then
    press and release one after another Cancel> Home> Eject buttons.
    NOTE: Do not push the icons all at the same time, push each one in the order shown above and
    release each icon before pressing on the next icon.
    4. The 6 buttons on the Touch Control Panel will then blink 4 times; then wait until the product
    completes the initialization sequence and shows the Diagnostics menu.

Also, and not to nitpick, but the Service Station is not the ISS (ink supply station.)

Kiran

By the way, I would replace the belt at the same time while you're at it. It's a simple process, but follow the manual. And the belt comes with the right-end idler pulley, which often breaks.

And these printers don't use oil, they use grease (for reasons I don't know.) It has to be literally injected into holes of the carriage. In my case, I cleaned the carriage rail off of the old grease and muck, then just spread a film of white lithium grease on it, and put it back together. I don't know what HP expects you to use to actually pack the carriage bushings with it.

I don't even know what kind of grease you're supposed to use but it needs to be non-petroleum based.

Kiran

Kiran Otter,
    Thank you for your quick reply and confirmation of my diagnosis. I intend to take your advice and replace the belt too.
    After fishing most of the summer I need to be nit picked, so feel free to correct me. That's why I posted.

I have a variety of grease left over from my Kodak days. Good tip, thanks.

This covid thing has pretty much wiped me out after 25 years as an indy. So I think I'lll go back to catching 14 to 15 inch rainbow trout
    in northeastern Az.

If your in the area look me up, via PM.

Thanks again I'll post next year when I finish the call.

DR

Well, I replaced the service station and still get the 21:13 code. I re-read Kirans post about getting into the service menu after I got back to my office.
    Should of looked at it before I went out.

I still get the same symptoms, at 72% I can hear something from the left side ink station but only for about 20 seconds. I checked the inks and shook them
    and could not hear anything. I'm not sure if they are full or empty. Some feel heavier than the others but I can not hear the ink inside when I shake them.
    At 89% it codes out with 21:13.
    If I leave the cover open I got it to shut off with the button to the left of the control panel once. Otherwise it codes out with 08:04, request firmware upgrade.
    Because of the business, aerospace, they are not allowed to down load firmware to a thumb drive. I think I will have to try. I'll read up on the procedure for
    firmware up grades.
    There is one cable, a small connector, labeled Q6683-50013 Svc Arale cable. I don't recall disconnecting it, so I left it disconnected. What's that all about?
    I'll try and get back tomorrow and try to get into service and run the diagnostic on the service station.
    I did grease the carriage rail and that feels better, but I did not replace the belt. It just looks to new.
    This is not the MFP version.

Anyway, if someone can point me in the right direction I would be grateful.

Thanks

DR

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

I think that I'd run the service station diagnostics on pg 161. You've replaced the service station, so we can rule that out. There might be a wiring issue or a problem with the interconnect PCA or the engine PCA.

You can put a meter on the service station motor connections to see if you get the proper voltages.

I'd also review the service station installation pgs 507-511 to make sure that's what you did. =^..^=
    Last edited by blackcat4866; 01-05-2021 at 11:59 PM.
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

I just realized I was talking about the wrong printer before. Sorry about that. I had a T520 on the brain (and my dining room table) for a week.

Don't worry about the firmware, there's nothing wrong with it.

You need to connect any cables that aren't connected. If you can't figure out where it goes, take some pictures and post them here.

You may have a bad printmech board, since that is what controls the service station.

The ink cartridges have bags of ink in them; you won't hear ink sloshing around, but usually the weight of them is a good indicator of how much in is in them. Just remove them for now, they don't need to be installed for the printer to initialize.

I also wouldn't use grease on the carriage rail. It requires Nye oil; if it's petroleum oil or grease it will damage any plastic is comes in contact with.

Kiran

Blackcat, Thank you for your input. I am going over tomorrow to run the diagnostics. I am sure I replaced the service station and double checked
    the installation directions in the book after it did the same code.
    I am concerned about the one connector. Kiran suggests I find where that loose connector goes. And I agree. So I will recheck the installation again.
    Kiran, I already greased the rail with some white lithum grease for plastic bushings. But I can clean it off and stop at Ace Hdwr for that Nye oil.
    So Kiran, can I still use the above procedure to get into the service mode/diagnostic mode?
    Guess I'll be looking through the book tonight.

Thanks to both of you for your help.

DR

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Good luck. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

If it's lithium grease I guess that's OK. I just find it tends to be rather thick and the colder it is, the thicker it is, causing more friction. So if you get 86:01 errors, that's probably why.

You do have the service manual, right? It explains how to get into the diagnostics menu..

1. Make sure the printer is switched off with the Power key on the front of the printer and not with the
    power switch on the back of the printer.
    2. Press and hold the Up and OK keys. While holding the Up and OK keys down, press the Power
    key to turn on the printer, then release it while continuing to hold down the Up and OK keys. Wait
    until the HP logo appears in the front-panel display, then release all keys.
    3. In the Diagnostics menu, select a diagnostic test with the arrow keys and press the OK key to begin
    the highlighted test.

Kiran