Senior Tech 100+ Posts

hp m604 41.03.02/03 errors

Complaint of 'size mismatch'. When I started, tray 3 was working, and tray 2 would state mismatch message before it was even out of the machine. After several test pages, then tray 3 was doing the same thing. Manual tray kept working the entire time I was there. Trays weren't over or under filled. Paper was undamaged. Guides set properly, & size/type configured that it was showing up on the reports & control panel. Rollers were still good &; cleaned. Accessible paper path was cleaned out. The manual & comments online didn't illuminate a whole lot. When I started to take it apart to get deeper into it, they got cranked up wondering how much longer it would take, they needed to start printing, so I couldn't get much further. I don't just concentrate on printers anymore, so this is a bit newer model then I'm familiar with. When the older models had a problem with the paper size board, it would show up 'exec' or flake out between the different sizes. I don't understand why it's both trays at the same time and that tray 1 works. The manual did mention something about the registration, but how do I know for sure ? I'm going back to the same place with a fuser for a different machine. I would greatly appreciate if anyone had familiarity with this problem on that machine had some kind of suggestion to go from there. Especially if they have no time for somebody to actually look at it.
    Thanks Greatly

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: hp m604 41.03.02/03 errors

From the latest CPMD dated July 2020:

41.03.YZ Unexpected size in tray <X>

The printer detected a different paper size than expected.
    Y = Type, Z = Tray

• Y = 0 Size mismatch. Detected media is longer or shorter than expected.
    • Y = A Size mismatch. Detected media too long.
    • Y = B Size mismatch. Detected media too short.
    • Y = C Size mismatch. Inter-page gap error.

• Z = D Source is the duplexer.
    • Z = E Source is the envelope feeder.
    • Z = 1 Source is Tray 1.
    • Z = 2 Source is Tray 2.
    • Z = 3 Source is Tray 3.
    • Z = 4 Source is Tray 4.
    • Z = 5 Source is Tray 5.

Recommended action

• Touch OK to use another tray.
    • Print a configuration page to verify the size and type to which the trays are set.
    • Make sure that the tray is loaded with the correct paper size and that the sliding paper guides are correctly adjusted to the correct paper size.
    • Verify that the error is not occurring as a result of an unexpected paper size trigger caused by a multi-page feed.
    • Print internal pages from all trays to verify that this error only occurs when printing from the PC.
    • Verify that the Toner cartridge and the transfer roller are seated properly.
    • Check the rollers and make sure they are not worn smooth, or coated with paper dust or other debris. If the rollers are causing the issue, send the customer a roller kit.
    • Use the Tray/Bin manual sensor test to verify that the cassette media switch is correctly functioning.
    • Check paper path sensors for proper operation and that they do not stick at all. Replace any damaged sensor or assembly.
    • Reconnect the connectors for the media sensor, intermediate-transfer belt, and the DC controller PCA.
    • Test registration assembly motor and clutch. If not function properly replace the registration assembly. If the error persists, replace the lifter assembly.

41.03.02 with slow printing

Some instances of slow printing and 41.03.02 have been seen caused by timing issues with the correct size media loaded.
    Recommended action

• Touch OK to use another tray.
    • Print a configuration page to verify the size and type to which the trays are set.
    • Make sure that the tray is loaded with the correct paper size and that the sliding paper guides are correctly adjusted to the correct paper size.
    • Verify that the error is not occurring as a result of an unexpected paper size trigger caused by a multi-page feed.
    • Print internal pages from all trays to verify that this error only occurs when printing from the PC.
    • Verify that the Toner cartridge and the transfer roller are seated properly.
    • Check the rollers and make sure they are not worn smooth, or coated with paper dust or other debris. If the rollers are causing the issue, send the customer a roller kit.
    • Use the Tray/Bin manual sensor test to verify that the cassette media switch is correctly functioning.
    • Check paper path sensors for proper operation and that they do not stick at all. Replace any damaged sensor or assembly.
    • Reconnect the connectors for the media sensor, intermediate-transfer belt, and the DC controller PCA.
    • Test registration assembly motor and clutch. If not function properly replace the registration assembly. If the error persists, replace the lifter assembly.
      Lifter assembly part number: RM2-6335-010CN

• Perform engine test with and without formatter
      If engine tests does not print with the formatter installed but prints good without the formatter, replace the formatter.

• Replace the PCA, DC Controller if formatter did not resolve the issue.
      PCA, DC Controller part number: RM2-7643-000CN

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Thanks for your reply, but I tried all these steps from the manual short of starting to take it apart. I just don't understand why it would do it from both trays, and not the manual feed. I know these recent HPs have been idiosyncratic & haven't had the chance to know them thoroughly. I just wondered if someone ran across something once with these. Thanks for your consideration.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

You can try a partial clean from the Preboot menu. I've had that fix some quirky things in the past.