Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Designjet T1100 MFP

Designjet T1100 MFP

Was called to look at this T1100 scanner that isn't pulling paper in to scan. It looks like there isn't enough downward pressure being placed on the guide plate to pull paper in. If I load paper into the front while applying slight pressure on the guide plate, it pulls paper in fine. I noticed the guide plate won't stay in the up position when I open it, so, I took the left cover off and noticed there is a piston that holds it up and it looks like it must be shot. It appears to be a generic piston with a part number of 192805 0150N, easily orderable from eBay (PNEUMATIC SPRING / Piston for Heidelberg 192805 (0150N) (HE-00-580-5037) | eBay). I'm wondering if this failed piston would cause what is happening or could there be something else wrong. Also, is there another piston on the right side? I only removed the left side. I'm attaching pictures to hopefully show what I mean.

No Pressure.jpg
    No pressure on the guide plate - Notice the tiny gap between the guide plate roller and entry rollers

Slight Pressure.jpg
    Slight pressure on the guide plate - The guide plate roller and entry rollers are in contact.

Gas Piston2.jpg
    Piston - Full picture

Gas Piston1.jpg
    Piston - closeup

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Designjet T1100 MFP

Re: Designjet T1100 MFP

It was a different model HP Designjet ... but the problem was not the piston, it was the plastic bracket that mounts it to the frame. It was split right down the middle. Not sure about your model. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Designjet T1100 MFP

Hmmmmmmm. Not sure.

I was also thinking that maybe squeezing the clamp shut on both sides might make for a tighter close?

Guide Plate Clamp.jpg

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Doesn't this model have a roller adjustment control on the top control panel?

We had problems loading velum in ours because the paper wasn't heavy/stiff enough to trigger the mechanical sensor. Bond worked fine. Ended up having to layer the velum on top of a piece of bond to make to load ok.

Designjet T1100 MFP

There is a calibration for the automatic thickness adjustment control (ATAC) but if that piston is dead, I'd start with that.

Kiran

Designjet T1100 MFP

Thanks everyone. I just ordered that piston. Will reply back once installed.

Designjet T1100 MFP

Got it working.

After replacing the piston, the guide plate now stays up, but, wasn't the whole problem. By the way, if you need to replace the piston, bring a clamp! I don't know who wrote the instructions on how to install that piston in the service manual, but, they must have been on something. Your NEVER going to install it using those instructions!

I resolved the left side not closing by removing the clamp (did both sides), cleaning off the old, crusty grease and applying new grease. A little bend here and there and it now clamps shut when pushing on the guide plate.

20210224_120844.jpg20210224_120904.jpg

As for the pickup, running the ATAC procedure did the trick!