Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    HP Laserjet P4014 - non-print  - REPOSTED

HP Laserjet P4014 - non-print - REPOSTED

My Apologies...I reposted this, because I forgot about the issue with post titles ending in the word "print"

Hey all....I think this is my first time in the HP forum. I like what you've done with the place

I work almost exclusively with Ricoh stuff, except that I get tasked with doing some of the routine maintenances, etc, on printers around the office.
    Today I was told that the printer would often just not print anything, and that they would then turn the printer off/on, and once it rebooted the jobs would come out. It was demonstrated to me, and it happened from all 3 connected pc's - 1 running Win7 and 2 others on Win10.
    I was also told that it comes and goes to some extent. For example, Yesterday it was fine most of the day.
    I also tried connecting it to a different port in the network switch, and a new cable, and all other devices on the same switch have no issues.
    I'm sure that the F/W likely hasn't ever been done, so that's probably not a bad spot to start.
    I removed and reseated the formatter, and blew it clean with compressed air (there was no additional ram to remove/ replace).
    I haven't checked the manual yet ( I have to search for one). Is there a complete reset that I could try in the service menu?
    I did the 'factory reset' in the regular menu. It didn't help, but it also didn't even reset the IP address.

I appreciate any input.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: HP Laserjet P4014 - non-print - REPOSTED

It sounds like a similar thing that happens to a lot of printers attached to windows 10 or 8 or maybe now 7.
    Probably need to uninstall printer on each computer and reinstall using the drivers from hp website instead of
    drivers in the windows library.

Quote Originally Posted by copydocinc View Post
    It sounds like a similar thing that happens to a lot of printers attached to windows 10 or 8 or maybe now 7.
    Probably need to uninstall printer on each computer and reinstall using the drivers from HP website instead of
    drivers in the windows library.
    Thanks for the input, but I actually went back and connected my laptop to their network and installed the newest driver from HP, and had the exact same issue.
    I told them that my best guess was a formatter board, and left it in their hands to do what they wish.
    Truthfully, I actually couldn't care less at this point, because when I was made aware of the issue, I went about trying to do them a favour by connecting their Ricoh MFP to their laptops, which had never been done. (Even though I have visited this client on multiple occasions, I have only just taken control of this account...so to speak).
    I thought they'd appreciate being able to print to the MFP reliably without having to reset it before every print job, and it's sitting right next to the printer.
    By the time I went back - only 2 days later, they'd already re-set their default Printer back, because it apparently costs way to much to print to their 13 year old MFP which I'm still honouring a Maintenance agreement (for the time being....) at a very reasonable 1.4c/ copy from the previous Service company.
    So they're ok having to get up and turn the printer off/ on basically EVERY SINGLE JOB, because they're convinced they're saving a BUNDLE!
    I couldn't even be bothered trying to reason with them.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I've had issues like this, but it's almost always computer related. Are you printing to a static IP address or a Windows discovery port? They all like to default back to that whenever an update is done it seems which seems to cause issues. I doubt you have a bad formatter. What if you plug in local through usb to just one computer, does problem go away? As far as not using the MFP, .014 is a good price so the only way it's cheaper on that model is if they're using aftermarket toners that they get on ebay for $25. To be honest, if you know which sellers to buy from, the aftermarkets on that particular model work very well with a low failure rate so I understand why, I have some customers that I sell those to myself at a considerable profit.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    I've had issues like this, but it's almost always computer related. Are you printing to a static IP address or a Windows discovery port? They all like to default back to that whenever an update is done it seems which seems to cause issues. I doubt you have a bad formatter. What if you plug in local through usb to just one computer, does problem go away? As far as not using the MFP, .014 is a good price so the only way it's cheaper on that model is if they're using aftermarket toners that they get on ebay for $25. To be honest, if you know which sellers to buy from, the aftermarkets on that particular model work very well with a low failure rate so I understand why, I have some customers that I sell those to myself at a considerable profit.
    Thanks for the input, Tom.
    Yes, I always use static IP's.
    As I said, I went as far as I could, and just got annoyed in the end. I was trying to do them a favour, and I do hold service agreements on some other machines, and also provide the supplies (or at least I will be going forward) so I left it to them. They're nearly impossible to reason with, and seem ok to get up and down a hundred times a day to reboot the HP.
    To me, it doesn't really matter if it prints via USB, as the users are spread out over 3 offices.
    I could easily replace this unit with a much newer, higher end for $300-400 with the sources I have, and I'm unable to even go down that road right now -and this isn't some small 'mom & pop' shop - it's a very large transportation and warehousing operation. It's truly ridiculous!

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

I have had success with verifying the DNS settings for HP models.
    make sure that the DNS 1 is set to the Local gateway ip address or DNS Server.
    and then if needed (not in your case) dns 2 to google (8.8.8.8) if it is an mfp that needs to email off site

This lets the printer be found on the network and not get "lost"