Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Technician

HP Color LaserJet CM3530 MFP giving "59.F0 Transfer unit is missing or motor error"

Hi,

I just registered here as I have an issue with my HP Color LaserJet CM3530 MFP I use for my home business. As I attempted to print an invoice I could hear the motors just suddenly stop mid print and it displayed:

"59.F0 - Error

The transfer unit is missing or a motor error has occurred"

I did motor/sensor/ITB flag tests which all passed however another post mentions Sensor SR9 but doesn't mention where this sensor is so I haven't tested that one. The sensor I did test is sensor SR17 which works.

Also, I believe it's since I tried manually turning the gears that engage with the transfer belt assembly, there's a faint grinding noise when it starts before it gives the error, when the error first occurred it wasn't doing this grinding noise. What could this new noise be? It doesn't sound too bad, I don't think teeth got broken off gears but it does it every time it starts, would it be worth recording it and posting the sound?

What should I try next and is it worth fixing? It's probably over 15 years old but I really like this machine and would like to either fix it myself or get it fixed depending on the complexity of the job. I just bought a portable HP Officejet 200 as an emergency backup printer to keep my business going in the meantime and in case of future problems.

It would seem like a waste to get rid of my LaserJet when it's hopefully an inexpensive fix, it's a huge machine with possibly just a faulty or dusty sensor. I'd be willing to put a few hundred dollars into it as long as it gets it fixed.

Thank you

Technician

Re: HP Color LaserJet CM3530 MFP giving "59.F0 Transfer unit is missing or motor erro

I just found the source of the grinding noise, while I had the fuser and ITB removed, I manually turned the upper most gear that engages with the fuser unit and when I turn it upward I hear that grinding noise but not when I turn it downwards. What would be causing this? It didn't start doing that noise until I started playing around inside to try to fix the error.

Edit:

The grinding noise stopped as mysteriously as it started, even when I manually turn the gear I no longer hear it.

I've also tried to upgrade the firmware as I heard it can solve this error though I suspect a real hardware issue with the age of the printer but it seems like it refuses to take an upgrade with the error displayed, is there any way to upgrade the firmware when it starts with an error?

I've also read more and more about this often being caused by a failed solenoid and saw videos on how to get to it, is this likely my issue?
    Last edited by ccr; 03-03-2021 at 07:55 AM.

Technician

Re: HP Color LaserJet CM3530 MFP giving "59.F0 Transfer unit is missing or motor erro

The grinding noise is back again, and after more research it seems this error is often caused by a sticking solenoid, and it seems to be on the fuser drive assembly which is also where the grinding noise is coming from.

I think replacing the fuser drive assembly and the solenoid it contains may fix the issue, what do you think?

The part is cheap but seems like a several hour job to get to it.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    HP Color LaserJet CM3530 MFP giving "59.F0 Transfer unit is missing or motor error"

Correct. The fuser drive assembly will need to be replaced. It is inexpensive, however, unless you've got printer repair experience under your belt, it's not something a user should do.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Lance15 View Post
    Correct. The fuser drive assembly will need to be replaced. It is inexpensive, however, unless you've got printer repair experience under your belt, it's not something a user should do.
    I'm not a printer tech but I have repaired many things including printers (though possibly only inkjets other than minor fixes on my laserjet) and replacing the screen of my smartphone myself which was like brain surgery, I've seen videos on YouTube showing the repair I need to do, it's admittedly the most complex repair I would have done (mostly the disassembly and reassembly) but I feel ready to try it.

In the event that I make it even worst, would a printer tech service it in a home business? How much could I expect this repair to cost if I were to pay a printer tech to do it?

After looking at printers available today I think I want to get my 15+ year old laserjet fixed over getting a new model, am I pushing it on wanting to keep using a 15+ year old laserjet? It only has 95 000 pages if I remember correctly.

BTW it had sometimes been leaving faint streaks on either side of pages that eventually fade out and then come back, I'm quite sure this is an ITB issue but could it be just a bad/dirty wiper? I've seen the wipers for the ITB sold by themselves, could that fix my streaking issue or should I get a whole new ITB? Print quality is still impeccable other than the occasional streaks.

In my opinion, if a user tried tackling a repair like this and made it worse, I wouldn't even touch the printer. Believe me, printer techs KNOW when someone has been inside of printers to try to fix problems.

And you are correct for the streaking issue. It is a faulty ITB. Typically, the whole ITB is replaced as the "cleaning assembly" isn't a separately replaceable part, but, if your feeling adventurous and you have a source to order only the cleaning end of the ITB, expect to make a complete mess. The cleaning assembly is filled with toner. I've taken one off once just to see if it was possible to clean and it wasn't pretty. Toner everywhere.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

In my opinion, if a user tried tackling a repair like this and made it worse, I wouldn't even touch the printer. Believe me, printer techs KNOW when someone has been inside of printers to try to fix problems.
    +1

if I did touch it I would charge DOUBLE TIME to fix it.

Technician

What could have caused the grinding noise that started that comes from the fuser drive assembly? Again I was getting the error before the noise started and the noise started after I manually turned some gears that engage with the fuser and ITB, could simply manually turning these gears have caused the grinding noise? I assume replacing it will solve the problem but I'd like to know what could have caused it so it doesn't happen again on the new one.

If I didn't try to fix it myself and paid a tech from the start, how much would it cost and would they come fix it in a home?

The grinding noise could be from any number of things. Fuser, registration assembly, fuser drive assembly, main drive assembly.............

Depending on who you can find to come out will depend on price. Personally, I don't do this repair onsite due to the number of components that need to be removed. Haven't found one place that had the room to accommodate my meticulous laying out of parts so I know where they go back .

As for amount of time. I've gotten this repair down to under two hours. This also includes testing and updating to the latest firmware. It's A LOT of work.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

The grinding noise could be from any number of things. Fuser, registration assembly, fuser drive assembly, main drive assembly.............

Depending on who you can find to come out will depend on price. Personally, I don't do this repair onsite due to the number of components that need to be removed. Haven't found one place that had the room to accommodate my meticulous laying out of parts so I know where they go back .

As for amount of time. I've gotten this repair down to under two hours. This also includes testing and updating to the latest firmware. It's A LOT of work.
    +1

The real-estate it take to dismantle this bugger can be enormous.
    I would take these to my shop.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk