Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts JLSam's Avatar

HP LJ 500 M525 Asking for Permissions SMB

I set up a printer this morning.

Scan to SMB works fine, but the end user has to input the credentials every time in the control panel after reboot.
    In the Web User Interface I put "Always use these credentials" Followed by Username/ Password for the SMB setup. Verify test ok!

End user wants to scan without having to input credentials, naturally. So, I'm obviously missing something. A little help, I would be grateful-Really.

Thank you!

Sr. Service Tech 100+ Posts Murv's Avatar

Re: HP LJ 500 M525 Asking for Permissions SMB

Quote Originally Posted by JLSam View Post
    I set up a printer this morning.

Scan to SMB works fine, but the end user has to input the credentials every time in the control panel after reboot.
    In the Web User Interface I put "Always use these credentials" Followed by Username/ Password for the SMB setup. Verify test ok!

End user wants to scan without having to input credentials, naturally. So, I'm obviously missing something. A little help, I would be grateful-Really.

Thank you!

Is this in a quick set or the address book/contacts?

Quote Originally Posted by Murv View Post
    Is this in a quick set or the address book/contacts?
    Quick Set.

Quick Set.
    So, just to make sure I am understanding correctly - This only happens after a reboot of the computer, or a reboot of the 525? As long as there has been no reboot of <XYZ> device it works fine without re-entering creds?

Are you using a domain path or just an IP address path for the scan to folder?
    What FW rev are you running?
    Are you scanning to a folder on a server or on the user's PC?
    Windows or Mac?

I've set up a LOT of scan to <you name it> on HP and Xerox and have never run into this, so I am intrigued and more than happy to spend some time doing some research on it at my end.

Thx,

MRS

Unhappy Re: HP LJ 500 M525 Asking for Permissions SMB

So, just to make sure I am understanding correctly - This only happens after a reboot of the computer, or a reboot of the 525? As long as there has been no reboot of <XYZ> device it works fine without re-entering creds?

Are you using a domain path or just an IP address path for the scan to folder?
    What FW rev are you running?
    Are you scanning to a folder on a server or on the user's PC?
    Windows or Mac?

I've set up a LOT of scan to <you name it> on HP and Xerox and have never run into this, so I am intrigued and more than happy to spend some time doing some research on it at my end.

Thx,

MRS
    I think it happens after it comes back from power save mode, or it could just a time limit where it "retains" the credentials, and then looses them after a while.

No Domain, simple SMB path. "\\ComputerName\Scan folder" and a password, to end users Windows 10 PC.

I've set up a few HPS and Xerox SMB scanning, a long with Brother, Sharp, and even Canon. I've never run into that problem either. I'm sure it's a setting I am missing. :\

Anyway, any help to get rid of that constant need to fill in the Permissions, will be great. Thank you.

-Sam

Thanks for the info. I'll dig into this when I get a chance. Sh*t is hitting the fan right now (call wise) at the shop and in the field, which is weird for a Friday. Barely managed to choke groceries down and check email.

Have a great weekend!

MRS

Thanks for the info. I'll dig into this when I get a chance. Sh*t is hitting the fan right now (call wise) at the shop and in the field, which is weird for a Friday. Barely managed to choke groceries down and check email.

Have a great weekend!

MRS

Update:

To be clear, I followed the instructions set by HP for the FutureSmart4 Web User Interface, for SMB set up. As you can see from the video it really is the easiest set up in the world, lol.
    Setting up a Scan to Network Folder on FutureSmart 4 HP Enterprise MFPs | HP Printers | HP - YouTube

Please see timestamp 2:01

This is the ONLY thing I did differently, is I put "Always use these credentials", and put username, pass, clicked verify (Pass ok!), followed by "Next" to "Finish".
    It's still asking for permissions when end user clicked on the profile under quickset to scan. :|

This is frustrating.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

May still worth making sure it's on latest FW version. Scan from other PC OK?
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Update:

To be clear, I followed the instructions set by HP for the FutureSmart4 Web User Interface, for SMB set up. As you can see from the video it really is the easiest set up in the world, lol.
    Setting up a Scan to Network Folder on FutureSmart 4 HP Enterprise MFPs | HP Printers | HP - YouTube

Please see timestamp 2:01

This is the ONLY thing I did differently, is I put "Always use these credentials", and put username, pass, clicked verify (Pass ok!), followed by "Next" to "Finish".
    It's still asking for permissions when end user clicked on the profile under quickset to scan. :|

This is frustrating.
    True story on the ease of setup. HP scan to can be done in your sleep, which is why I don't think *you* are missing anything. This almost has to be a FW bug, or something that is not set up at the Win10 firewall. What might that be? I'm not sure. There are plenty of white papers on poking a hole for 445, etc, but nothing about cred problems. The 525 should be copacetic with SMB V2, and says it isn't V1 dependent - but, turning that on in the Win10 service config might be something to try. I'll keep digging around and see if I can come up with anything. I love a good mystery. In the interim I would second the FW check to see if it is at the latest rev.

And... Random thought here... I can only assume this is a 525 that has been in service for a while, OR was a refurb since they are a legacy machine - Might want to consider an NVRAM reset, or even Super NVRAM reset (HP support has a particular fetish about the Super NVRAM reset whenever you call them. It's almost frightening) followed by FW update. I've actually seen an NVRAM init and re-setup fix a couple of Xeroxes on the SMB and SMTP scan to issues. Could be worth a try if you are in the vicinity and the EU is willing to do without the printer for 15 or 20 minutes.

MRS

Update - I was bouncing this off my wife (also a tech), and she just told me she has the same issue with our 575 here at the house, whereas I do not. So, it looks like I have a test bed for troubleshooting. It's beginning to sound a lot like a setting in Win10 as opposed to the MFP. Will let you know what I find.

MRS