Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

LJ 2420 cartridge door

I have a newly acquired LJ2420 and noticed the left hinge on the cartridge door was broken.

I had another printer of the same model which was suffering terminal paperjams, so thought I would cannibalise it to replace the door on mine.

I followed the service manual and got the doors off both printers.
    Extract from manual is here: Laser Printer Help Technical Support
    Tells you to "slide the cartridge door to the left, off of the hinges" which is easy enough.
    It's doing the reverse that is the problem.

Then I spent two hours trying to put the "new" door on my printer. This requires threading the axle pins through 4 holes in two parts of the door.

Is there some trick to this? I gave up and replaced the original door, which was easy as only had to thread the hinge on the right side -- I wondered if it had been broken by someone who had removed or replaced the door (perhaps to replace a pad on it) frustrated by the same problem I was.

Now I have the sacrificial LJ in pieces as I can't put it back together....

Technician

Re: LJ 2420 cartridge door

Quote Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
    I have a newly acquired LJ2420 and noticed the left hinge on the cartridge door was broken.

I had another printer of the same model which was suffering terminal paperjams, so thought I would cannibalise it to replace the door on mine.

I followed the service manual and got the doors off both printers.
    Extract from manual is here: Laser Printer Help Technical Support
    Tells you to "slide the cartridge door to the left, off of the hinges" which is easy enough.
    It's doing the reverse that is the problem.

Then I spent two hours trying to put the "new" door on my printer. This requires threading the axle pins through 4 holes in two parts of the door.

Is there some trick to this? I gave up and replaced the original door, which was easy as only had to thread the hinge on the right side -- I wondered if it had been broken by someone who had removed or replaced the door (perhaps to replace a pad on it) frustrated by the same problem I was.

Now I have the sacrificial LJ in pieces as I can't put it back together....
    Remove the MP tray from the toner cover.
    Reinstall the toner open cover first.
    Then reinstall the flip down MP tray

Technician

Re: LJ 2420 cartridge door

Quote Originally Posted by atadikohp View Post
    Remove the MP tray from the toner cover.
    Reinstall the toner open cover first.
    Then reinstall the flip down MP tray
    Brilliant!!
    Thanks!!!

Would have been nice if that was in the manual.

These printers are pretty good, but taking them apart is like negotiating a video game.
    To swap the cartridge door, I had to start by removing the back panel, then then a side panel. Every time I clicked or bent a tab I wondered if it was going to snap...

But got it back together and my printer now has a good door, apparently all working, and also more RAM salvaged from the donor machine.