Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    59.00.C0 Laserjet M608 with 237Y extra high yield toner

I have a customer with four Laserjet Enterpise M608 printers in a high volume application. They have been using the OEM CF237Y extra high yield toner, rated for 41k yield. They got a 59.00.C0 (dev drive motor) error code on a machine that has not had it's first PM yet. I had the customer swap out the toner, and the error resolved. I'd like to capture their toner business with an aftermarket toner, and suggested they use a standard high yield X 25K toner. Of course the first one I brought failed.

Has anyone else experienced issues with toner on the M608?

I also plan to replace the feed tires mid pm cycle as the new style tires don't seem to hold up. Anyone else"

If anyone has any tips on this model, I'd love to hear them

Thanks

Robin

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: 59.00.C0 Laserjet M608 with 237Y extra high yield toner

Quote Originally Posted by Robinh View Post
    I have a customer with four Laserjet Enterpise M608 printers in a high volume application. They have been using the OEM CF237Y extra high yield toner, rated for 41k yield. They got a 59.00.C0 (dev drive motor) error code on a machine that has not had it's first PM yet. I had the customer swap out the toner, and the error resolved. I'd like to capture their toner business with an aftermarket toner, and suggested they use a standard high yield X 25K toner. Of course the first one I brought failed.

Has anyone else experienced issues with toner on the M608?

I also plan to replace the feed tires mid pm cycle as the new style tires don't seem to hold up. Anyone else"

If anyone has any tips on this model, I'd love to hear them

Thanks

Robin

1) DO NOT let them update firmware.. the new firmware blocks the user from using compatible toner they will get a " Supply Error " message.

the toners sometimes causes the motor to bind. so can the fuser if it's worn and not spinning properly

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    1) DO NOT let them update firmware.. the new firmware blocks the user from using compatible toner they will get a " Supply Error " message.

the toners sometimes causes the motor to bind. so can the fuser if it's worn and not spinning properly
    Thanks Phil,

I'll be sure to tell their IT guy NO FIRMWARE!

I wondered about the fuser, but I pulled it out and cycled it by hand and it seemed fine. I tried an aftermarket toner, going to try a remanufactured toner next. Another thing I noticed, the customer prints 60% legal paper with heavy fill, and yet the toner supply report will say it has 20k copies left, even when they've run 35k on it. So the customer doesn't want to swap it out. The other day, we pulled a CF237Y that had 45k on it 4k over anticipated yield. I wish it wouldn't tell them they have 20% left on a toner that's used up, even if they do put an asterisk on the report.

The M605 seemed like a solid design, why the heck they had to change everything is beyond me?

Appreciate the input.

Robin

Thanks Phil,

I'll be sure to tell their IT guy NO FIRMWARE!

The M605 seemed like a solid design, why the heck they had to change everything is beyond me?

Appreciate the input.

Robin
    my pleasure ...

WHO knows why design engineers do half the crazy shit they do... I think before they become engineers they should be made to work as an in field tech.... maybe they will thing about hiding a screw to remove to get the fuser out... and not having to remove 35 PCB's just to get to it!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    my pleasure ...

WHO knows why design engineers do half the crazy shit they do... I think before they become engineers they should be made to work as an in field tech.... maybe they will thing about hiding a screw to remove to get the fuser out... and not having to remove 35 PCB's just to get to it!
    I see you're in Raleigh. Back in the early 80's I attended Mita school in Texas with Milton Hobbs, who was from Raleigh. Milt was 72 years old, and his son owned the dealership. I'd been trained on Minolta before that, and Mita school was very different than Minolta. Milt ended up being my partner in class, and he chewed Red Man Loose leaf tobacco in class and spit it into a styrofoam coffee cup. Milt tried to talk me into coming to work for his son's business in Raleigh, but I like it out here in the Pacific NW.

Sorry for getting a bit off topic, just wondering if you ever ran into Milt?

Thanks again, and have a great day

Robin

I see you're in Raleigh. Back in the early 80's I attended Mita school in Texas with Milton Hobbs, who was from Raleigh. Milt was 72 years old, and his son owned the dealership. I'd been trained on Minolta before that, and Mita school was very different than Minolta. Milt ended up being my partner in class, and he chewed Red Man Loose leaf tobacco in class and spit it into a styrofoam coffee cup. Milt tried to talk me into coming to work for his son's business in Raleigh, but I like it out here in the Pacific NW.

Robin
    good story!

Robin
    72 I was still in MD. Didn't move here till 76.
    Hadn't even joined this industry then. 80-87 was warehouse/head of inventory control for Memorex/Telex a company that built WS monitors/286-486 PCs.
    Started with printers 86 off kitchen table along with PC refurb/new/training.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk