M551 Paper jam error

I have an HP M551dn printer showing a paper jam in right side door, with the 13.ff.ff code. When I first got to the printer I found that the registration sensor cover was missing as was the registration sensor. The wiring seemed to be fine. So I replaced the registration sensor and I'm still getting the error. So I check the paper path and found nothing in the path. I swapped the fuser as well as the DC controller and I'm still getting the error. The event log is also just showing the 13.ff.ff code.

I just can't figure out what is causing the problem. Anyone have any ideas?

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    M551 Paper jam error

Re: M551 Paper jam error

Quote Originally Posted by Calva70 View Post
    I have an HP M551dn printer showing a paper jam in right side door, with the 13.ff.ff code. When I first got to the printer I found that the registration sensor cover was missing as was the registration sensor. The wiring seemed to be fine. So I replaced the registration sensor and I'm still getting the error. So I check the paper path and found nothing in the path. I swapped the fuser as well as the DC controller and I'm still getting the error. The event log is also just showing the 13.ff.ff code.

I don't see any profile for you here @ CTN.... have you followed the instructions and replied to the Admin message?

are you a tech? end user?

to proceed you will need to fill out your profile.... if not I'm not willing to help you.

RTFM

I previously had an account on here, but I guess it got deleted cause I couldn't log into it. So I created a new one. I have gone back in and filled out my profile. I am a service tech and not an end user.

M551 Paper jam error

I previously had an account on here, but I guess it got deleted cause I couldn't log into it. So I created a new one. I have gone back in and filled out my profile. I am a service tech and not an end user.
    vBulletin Message

Invalid User specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

I don't know why it's doing that. I activated my account. I send something to the admin.

Still no action from an administrator to fix my account. Still need help with my printer problem.

M551 Paper jam error

13.WX.FFDescriptionPower on residual paper jamThis jam occurs when the paper exists at any of the paper path jam sensors at power on or door close.Due to the current FW timing requirements, the displayed jam code is always 13.FF.FF, only the eventlog will have 13.WX You can try turning the printer off, unplug the power cord. Remove the fuser. Remove the paper tray. Look the printer over really good with a flashlight and make sure there are no paper jams in the machine- being sure to pay close attention to the paper exit area (the top tray where paper leaves the machine). There is probably a clear plastic guide that helps paper exit the fusing area for the duplex path, make sure that clear plastic piece is seated well, and that any other "black flaps" in that section are moging freely. Plug the printer back up and power on with the fuser not in the printer. It should error out on boot up. Record that error message and numbers if possible. Power down the printer. Put the fuser back in being sure that you hear it "click" into place. Power back up the printer. If you can get the printer to power up and be in a "ready" state- i would push firmware to it again.
    I am not a HP employee. I am a service tech on these forums researching topics and offering my best guess to aide in your troubleshooting.

Sr. Service Tech 100+ Posts Murv's Avatar

Sounds like there is probably a small scrap caught under the registration shutter.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    M551 Paper jam error

Quote Originally Posted by Murv View Post
    Sounds like there is probably a small scrap caught under the registration shutter.
    ^^^^^^
    +1 onThis.

Could also be that the sensor flag in that area is stuck in the wrong position. Have you tried taking a piece of card stock and running it up through the paper path manually? Sometimes will dislodge a stuck sensor, or push scraps of paper into view.
    Have seen where those sensor flags have their tiny tension spring get dislodged, and cause jams, but that's usually while printing because the sensor doesn't return like normal.
    Omertà

Sr. Service Tech 100+ Posts Murv's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FrohnB View Post
    ^^^^^^
    +1 onThis.

Could also be that the sensor flag in that area is stuck in the wrong position. Have you tried taking a piece of card stock and running it up through the paper path manually? Sometimes will dislodge a stuck sensor, or push scraps of paper into view.
    Have seen where those sensor flags have their tiny tension spring get dislodged, and cause jams, but that's usually while printing because the sensor doesn't return like normal.
    ^^^^^^^^^ A +1 on this as well.