ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

HP Z6800 End of roll

It ran out of paper on the customer. They go to load another roll, and this starts. If you get it to pull and load the paper, says it is at end of roll and will not print. It will do this with a new HP roll, with the bar code , or plain paper with no code. Does it from roll 1 or 2. When you start the process, you can hear the beep as you push the paper in. If you push the roll all the way up to the carriage, it will say it is not loaded properly and tell you to unload. I loaded firmware, no change. Lost access to my plotter tech support and have never seen this issue before. Would be grateful for any tips.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    HP Z6800 End of roll

Re: HP Z6800 End of roll

It sounds like a rewinder issue. Is the tube being gripped firmly by the spindles? I've found this most often when the enduser installs 3" roll paper on a 2" spindle, but I've also seen on a Kip when the gripper teeth become loose, and the left end spindle isn't gripping the tube, or the spindle isn't locked to the shaft. It would help if you could get an error code.

It's also possible that the rewinder is out of calibration. The simple, low-tech way to do this calibration is to simply remove all paper > power OFF/ON > when it comes completely to "Ready", "Load Paper", follow the prompts on the screen to load each roll. I have often seen on Designjets that if the screen prompts to load or unload paper are not followed, the machine will not know if the paper has been unloaded or loaded. =^..^=
    Last edited by blackcat4866; 05-02-2021 at 09:03 PM.
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    It sounds like a rewinder issue. Is the tube being gripped firmly by the spindles? I've found this most often when the enduser installs 3" roll paper on a 2" spindle, but I've also seen on a Kip when the gripper teeth become loose, and the left end spindle isn't gripping the tube, or the spindle isn't locked to the shaft. It would help if you could get an error code.

It's also possible that the rewinder is out of calibration. The simple, low-tech way to do this calibration is to simply remove all paper > power OFF/ON > when it comes completely to "Ready", "Load Paper", follow the prompts on the screen to load each roll. I have often seen on Designjets that if the screen prompts to load or unload paper are not followed, the machine will not know if the paper has been unloaded or loaded. =^..^=

That is how it starts BC. Go through the steps to load and after it does it's thing, you get the end of roll message. Spindles are correct for the tubes. I even pulled the plug and held the power button on to cold reset. It is as if it is missing a piece of data or skipping a step.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    HP Z6800 End of roll

We had an enduser that set the paper to sheet feed, then loaded the roll. You get the same effect. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=