Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    M605 - Jams First job of the day

Hi all.
    I don't have any real experience with this model, but I've worked on quite a few different HP's over the years.
    I was called out to service an M605 printer recently that I was told was jamming.

The rollers were obviously worn, so I installed a new set, printed several sheets and left.

A few days later I'm called out again, and further explained that it only did it on the first job in the morning and then would run fine for the rest of the day. They had left the paper inside so I could see it when I arrived.
    It had stopped just before the fuser with no rotation.
    I figured that maybe the sleeve could possibly be a little 'gummed' up which might cause it to not rotate properly on the first job, and I've seen this before on a couple of copier models that I worked on.
    I fitted a fusing unit from a brand new Maintenance kit that they had on site.
    They called the next morning - same issue.
    There was a message of "unexpected paper size" (at some point) that I noticed on the screen, and the jam code is 13.B2.A2 which I believe indicates just that.
    This jam that they left more me to see had not travelled quite as far - maybe 2 inches past the transfer roller
    The paper was being fed from tray 3 so I removed the paper and asked them to use tray 2 to see if the problem persists. It did.

Might it have something to do with recovering from sleep mode .

I have the printer back at my shop to see if I can duplicate the issue.

The firmware is from 2015, and I'm considering updating it, but I'm interested to see if I can duplicate the issue prior to really doing anything else.

Anyone experienced something similar?

I've not checked the driver configuration and am also wondering if it could be a paper size setting conflict there.
    I do know that the machine is set for A4/ Letter size override (if that means anything).
    I've messed around with paper size settings on the print driver I installed at my shop, and it doesn't seem to affect anything.

Thanks!

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: M605 - Jams First job of the day

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    Hi all.
    I don't have any real experience with this model, but I've worked on quite a few different HP's over the years.
    I was called out to service an M605 printer recently that I was told was jamming.

The rollers were obviously worn, so I installed a new set, printed several sheets and left.

A few days later I'm called out again, and further explained that it only did it on the first job in the morning and then would run fine for the rest of the day. They had left the paper inside so I could see it when I arrived.
    I figured that maybe the sleeve could possibly be a little 'gummed' up which might cause it to not rotate properly on the first job, and I've seen this before on a couple of copier models that I worked on.
    There was a message of "unexpected paper size" (at some point) that I noticed on the screen, and the jam code is 13.B2.A2 which I believe indicates just that.
    This jam that they left more me to see had not travelled quite as far - maybe 2 inches past the transfer roller
    The paper was being fed from tray 3 so I removed the paper and asked them to use tray 2 to see if the problem persists. It did.

The firmware is from 2015, and I'm considering updating it, but I'm interested to see if I can duplicate the issue prior to really doing anything else.

I've not checked the driver configuration and am also wondering if it could be a paper size setting conflict there.
    I do know that the machine is set for A4/ Letter size override (if that means anything).
    I've messed around with paper size settings on the print driver I installed at my shop, and it doesn't seem to affect anything.

Thanks!
    DO NOT UPDATE FIRMWARE -=IF=- they use 'compatible toners' that will result in SUPPLY ERROR messages then you will have to downgrade FIRMWARE revisions.
    How many prints since last pm?
    Have you checked the sensors for proper movement. Most times the end user gets frustrated and rips the paper out.leaving shards of paper in the sensors or knocks the outta place.
    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    DO NOT UPDATE FIRMWARE -=IF=- they use 'compatible toners' that will result in SUPPLY ERROR messages then you will have to downgrade FIRMWARE revisions.
    How many prints since last pm?
    Have you checked the sensors for proper movement. Most times the end user gets frustrated and rips the paper out.leaving shards of paper in the sensors or knocks the outta place.
    Thanks Phil

Hmmm....Good tip on the Compatible toners. They do use them.
    There's already a "non-HP supply" message when the cartridge is installed, but it doesn't affect operation.
    I've seen that happen on some Lexmarks in the past. I wasn't aware that it had the same effect with HP.

They print hundreds of pages per day after the initial jam without issue, so it's not going to be a shard of paper or switch issue, and I did replace the feed tires, fuser, and also the transfer roller a week ago.

Thanks Phil

Hmmm....Good tip on the Compatible toners. They do use them.
    There's already a "non-HP supply" message when the cartridge is installed, but it doesn't affect operation.
    I've seen that happen on some Lexmarks in the past. I wasn't aware that it had the same effect with HP.

They print hundreds of pages per day after the initial jam without issue, so it's not going to be a shard of paper or switch issue, and I did replace the feed tires, fuser, and also the transfer roller a week ago.
    One other thing brother, how humid is it there? Moisture can greatly affect the feeding of cheap paper.

One other thing brother, how humid is it there? Moisture can greatly affect the feeding of cheap paper.

It's a lovely climate controlled office if/when the temperature rises
    It's been lower than seasonal temps around these parts up till now, so no humidity issues anywhere yet

It's actually my largest customer that I've recently inherited, and I maintain a couple dozen machines for them - including several 600 series printers. They do a few million pages/year. No other similar issues to report.

It's a lovely climate controlled office if/when the temperature rises M605 - Jams First job of the day
    It's been lower than seasonal temps around these parts up till now, so no humidity issues anywhere yet

It's actually my largest customer that I've recently inherited, and I maintain a couple dozen machines for them - including several 600 series printers. They do a few million pages/year. No other similar issues to report.
    Ok played my hand unless the solenoid comes onto play.

Sr. Service Tech 100+ Posts Murv's Avatar

What's the situation with static? Since you've been in a lower temp/lower humidity state that can play a part.

I can't say that I have seen the sticky solenoid issue on any 605's (yet).

Hi all.

Thanks!

IF the user EVER plans on using compatible toners DO NOT UPGRADE the firmware.

if you don't have the manual you can find it here: HP Service Manuals

good luck brother

Quote Originally Posted by Murv View Post
    What's the situation with static? Since you've been in a lower temp/lower humidity state that can play a part.

I can't say that I have seen the sticky solenoid issue on any 605's (yet).
    Thanks, but again, It's the first page/ job of the day ONLY, and they print hundreds of pages after that, so I don't feel like static is the issue.
    BTW....I really like your Avatar.
    That has been my 'go to' picture reply to dozens of foolish posts in the past!

IF the user EVER plans on using compatible toners DO NOT UPGRADE the firmware.

if you don't have the manual you can find it here: HP Service Manuals

good luck brother
    Thanks Phil.
    I do have the manual and I will be sure to not upgrade firmwares.
    Although, I know that my suppliers do update the chips pretty regularly.
    I actually pooched a Lexmark printer I had in my shop recently by updating F/W.
    It rendered the installed cartridge unusable along with 2 spares that came with it, but my supplier generously sold me 3 chips that they told me would work with the latest F/W, and worked like a charm!

As for the current status of this printer....
    I let it sit overnight - twice, in an effort to duplicate the issue, before doing anything to it. It never misfed.
    I printed 300-400 pages in between those times. It never misfed.
    I'll be returning it in Friday a.m., and we'll see what happens.
    I'm left wondering if there is a possibility that there is some sort of conflict with the optional 500 sheet tray?
    I didn't bring it with me, and I plan to leave it off for a few days when I return the printer to see what happenes before reconnecting it.
    Other than that, I'm at my wits end.
    I would love to be able to say "what's the big deal? It jams once per day at the exact same time. Remove it, and get on with your lives", but This customer is WAY to valuable to me in the big picture.
    I've recently been advised, that this particular department is known for being a pain, and I'm learning that to be the case, because the woman was none to happy with me removing this printer to repair for a couple of days, because of the additional distance to her backup machine being SO inconvenient.
    Get this...... (after rolling my eyes in another direction ), I paced it off....It's 14 steps to this printer, and 17 to the other one.

Sr. Service Tech 100+ Posts Murv's Avatar

Rock on. I have seen static cause some pretty weird sh*t, but YMMV. Good luck. :-)