Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Dot4 Driver 64Bit

G'day guys....

I require a 64bit Dot4 printer driver to run and old HP LaserJet 3380 printer,fax machine(2004), on the dreaded Windows10 O/S.
    Any body get the old machines working with Windows10 64 bit thanks?
    I can print using the old dot4 32bit printer drivers but I can't find where I placed my 64bit drivers.

It's a good old personal A4 machine that chugs along on the network and prints okay even to this day.
    I've paid for a new printer cartridge,and so I would like to use it up before retiring the machine.

Yeah, I checked the HP website....

TIA....
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ‘ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Re: Dot4 Driver 64Bit

“I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Dot4 Driver 64Bit

Am I wrong about this? I thought 64 bit OS could also run 32 bit software. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    Am I wrong about this? I thought 64 bit OS could also run 32 bit software. =^..^=
    I somehow second what BC said but I was also under impression that Neo is network and software savy tech. It can't be that easy.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

It normally can, but i think he wants the driver, not an app.

It’s been a few years, but I’ve had little luck attempting to install 32 bit drivers in a 64 bit OS.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Re. HP Printer Drivers.
    Win10 64bit throws a tantrum when installing the old HP dot4 32bit drivers....
    Something along the lines of,"This is a 32bit driver" please install the relevant 64bit version... " Well, something to that effect...

Win10 64bit will install its own version of a dot4 driver, but it will not recognise my old HP printer. Win8.1 has no problems with printing to the old printer.

I run two systems of computer networks. One system is dirty online computer software with all the internet hack-ware. The other system is totally offline no Ethernet, WiFi , Bluetooth or USB connections.
    The system that operates offline, runs two or three times faster than the hack-ware internet system, with no updates required. Its a case of "never the twain shall meet"... I've done computing this way for a lot of years. It takes a measure of self discipline to maintain the offline system and keep it clean. I'm betting that Business and Corporations will turn to the same dual network system in years to come. It is the only way to have true computer security.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ‘ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

System drivers are platform specific. You can run 32-bit software on a 64-bit machine, but drivers have to be 64-bit.

From the HP site it looks like it's the same driver for Windows 8 and Windows 10. They both use the same driver framework so that would make sense.

You may need to install the driver package before connecting the printer just to make everything work cleanly.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts PrintWhisperer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post

Win10 64bit will install its own version of a dot4 driver, but it will not recognise my old HP printer. Win8.1 has no problems with printing to the old printer.

I run two systems of computer networks. One system is dirty online computer software with all the internet hack-ware. The other system is totally offline no Ethernet, WiFi , Bluetooth or USB connections.
    Not sure what information you are relaying here, which system are you trying to use for this printer? Must not be the 'offline' one because 'no USB'. However since you insist on the DOT4 drivers one does wonder. Does this printer have a network interface?

For simple port 9100 printing there is no 2-way communication required outside of the TCP port connection. SNMP will provide status messages to the Print Queue but will still work with SNMP disabled. Many 'advanced' drivers use manufacturer specific driver .dll's for status and discovery. That doesn't mean you have to use them.

So this 'won't recognize the printer' would be some form of HP software UPD discovery. There is no reason you should not be able to use any 64 bit HP PCL driver with a Port 9100 connection for basic printing. UPD (used for USB/DOT4 connections) is inherently unreliable. Isolated computers are still safe on an isolated network, you should network your printer.

So one assumes you are trying to use the special HP software and not doing a basic printer install. Look into the HP UPD software compatibility and guides.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Dot4 Driver 64Bit

This may not be the most pleasant of workarounds and definitely comes with it's own hurdles but... If you're truly up against a wall my thought would be to get a virtual machine setup to handle it. Not exactly the most elegant thing I've ever suggested but if it's just a temporary holdover it should serve the purpose for the time being.