Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: Wide Format Printers 60+"

Quote Originally Posted by reckless View Post
    Here is the other paper I am looking at that looks even better but not sure if it works with aqueous inks:
    Universal Premium Photo Paper Roll Instant-Dry Printing Paper ...

• ✔️EASY TO USE- Enjoy the easy, trouble-free printing. Compatible with large format aqueous inkjet printers. Ideal for graphic artists, photographers, and professional printers.

They claim it works with aqueous printer. This looks nicer than gloss paper based on description. Costs 3x as much. I bought one roll to try for my personal posters. Tried to see if it was much cheaper to buy 100 rolls in china but doesn't seem to be worth it.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by D Hook View Post
    That's a great price on ink. I've purchased those kind before for 800's and they usually work ok. Colors aren't quite as good as the HP but I used the 800 for mostly line drawings and an occasional picture. But nothing I'd put in a frame and hang on the wall. Too much banding on the 800 for my liking.
    That is the only drawback of the 800. It's noticeable up close. Do you think using better paper may solve that? $2 ink is too hard to pass up. I was told it lasts a super long time to. I have changed a few ink cartridges that were near empty so far on my 800.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Usually the ink doesn't cause the banding as much as the printhead. Printheads on the 800 are very small compared to the larger printers we've been discussing. You can try printing on "Best" but it doesn't seem to help too much and slows down an already slow printer. I've tried printing on Satin photo paper and the banding is still noticeable even on "Best".

But you're on the right track as far as experimenting. Maybe check ebay for some small (8x10) sheets of photo paper and other types of paper and just find some that give satisfactory results.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Wide Format Printers 60+"

The only thing that I can add to this discussion is that I've serviced a Z6200 a few times, and it seems reliable overall. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I print on best and it is better. For me speed wise best is fine. I noticed when I did draft image came out larger with lighter colors.

I should get new resin coated glossy paper roll tomorrow and will let you know if it looks much better. Its 13x the cost for super nice paper.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

There's a couple ways to avoid banding. Make sure you run a printhead alignment and make sure that it completes successfully. Also in the paper menu, there's a 'advance calibration', pick the option to 'restore factory'.. in case someone tried to do this before you. I've never had this calibration help anything, and people usually cause problems by running it incorrectly. So restoring the factory calibration is a good starting point. Also in the driver, always use 'optimize for images' and 'maximum detail'. This changes the printer from 600x600 to 2400x1200. Of course if you're printing larger pieces you may not need that since it will be viewed from a greater distance. But it does increases the passes made by the carriage and helps hide banding even further. Just be ready for it take a small eternity to print something.

Kiran

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kiran Otter View Post
    There's a couple ways to avoid banding. Make sure you run a printhead alignment and make sure that it completes successfully. Also in the paper menu, there's a 'advance calibration', pick the option to 'restore factory'.. in case someone tried to do this before you. I've never had this calibration help anything, and people usually cause problems by running it incorrectly. So restoring the factory calibration is a good starting point. Also in the driver, always use 'optimize for images' and 'maximum detail'. This changes the printer from 600x600 to 2400x1200. Of course if you're printing larger pieces you may not need that since it will be viewed from a greater distance. But it does increases the passes made by the carriage and helps hide banding even further. Just be ready for it take a small eternity to print something.

Kiran
    So I got new super gloss paper today. No Banding issue on it. When I loaded paper there was a submenu which type of paper: coated, heavy coated, high gloss photo, poster paper, canvas. I chose high gloss photo. But now there is a 5 minute ink dry time. How do I stop that? This dries instantly on paper.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

In the Ink menu, you can select a different drying time, or none.

Kiran

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Thanks I put that in. Hopefully next batch won't be an issue. New glossy paper is super awesome for some posters. Debating how coated paper vs satin resin coated (basically less glossy) will compare. The coated paper is 4 times less cost. Anyone want to give input it will be appreciated.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by reckless View Post
    Thanks I put that in. Hopefully next batch won't be an issue. New glossy paper is super awesome for some posters. Debating how coated paper vs satin resin coated (basically less glossy) will compare. The coated paper is 4 times less cost. Anyone want to give input it will be appreciated.
    Many times high gloss coated paper is for use in fluid ink or gel printers only. the coating can melt and damage fusing rollers in laser type systems. Most satin resin coated are able to be used in laser printers.