Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Anyone familiar with the Designjet Z6610 60" printer?

Former co-worker uses this machine and is having issues with using expired ink. Does anyone know it it's possible to bypass the expired ink messages and continue to print? He just spent over 2k on new inks because one of his stater inks reached its expiration and he said it quit printing. I was always under the impression you could bypass the expiration and continue. The user manual talks about that:

To force the printer to accept cartridges that it believes to be empty, follow these instructions:1. Install the cartridge in the printer (see Insert an ink cartridge on page 62).2. The front panel will complain that the cartridge is empty, and the cartridge removal process will start. Pressthe Cancel key to stop this automatic process.3.At the front panel, select the icon.4. Highlight Replace ink cartridges, but do not select it.5. Press the Cancel key and the Up key at the same time, and hold them down for at least two seconds.6. The front panel displays a series of warning messages. In response to each message, press the Cancel keyto cancel the process, or the OK key to conƭrm that you wish to continue.When you have pressed OK in response to all warning messages, the front panel will give the usual ink cartridgestatus display, but the cartridge will be shown as empty with a warning sign.

Just want to be sure this procedure works before telling him to try it. All his new cartridges expire 12-22. He doesn't print that much and they'll expire long before he uses them up. His start up cartridges were small and lasted him over 2 years and these are the large 700ml. Says he can't find the 771A ink in smaller tanks. It's a Fine Arts organization and spending that much on ink isn't in their operating budget.

Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: Anyone familiar with the Designjet Z6610 60" printer?

I had a similar problem on a different model, and was able to go into the programming to override the ink expiration. I couldn't find instructions for the Z8810, but what you've provided seems right.

Good luck and let us know if it works.

Quote Originally Posted by D Hook View Post
    Former co-worker uses this machine and is having issues with using expired ink. Does anyone know it it's possible to bypass the expired ink messages and continue to print? He just spent over 2k on new inks because one of his stater inks reached its expiration and he said it quit printing. I was always under the impression you could bypass the expiration and continue. The user manual talks about that:

To force the printer to accept cartridges that it believes to be empty, follow these instructions:1. Install the cartridge in the printer (see Insert an ink cartridge on page 62).2. The front panel will complain that the cartridge is empty, and the cartridge removal process will start. Pressthe Cancel key to stop this automatic process.3.At the front panel, select the icon.4. Highlight Replace ink cartridges, but do not select it.5. Press the Cancel key and the Up key at the same time, and hold them down for at least two seconds.6. The front panel displays a series of warning messages. In response to each message, press the Cancel keyto cancel the process, or the OK key to conƭrm that you wish to continue.When you have pressed OK in response to all warning messages, the front panel will give the usual ink cartridgestatus display, but the cartridge will be shown as empty with a warning sign.

Just want to be sure this procedure works before telling him to try it. All his new cartridges expire 12-22. He doesn't print that much and they'll expire long before he uses them up. His start up cartridges were small and lasted him over 2 years and these are the large 700ml. Says he can't find the 771A ink in smaller tanks. It's a Fine Arts organization and spending that much on ink isn't in their operating budget.

Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

It's a Z6610. Not sure that matters as far as the error messages go.

I'll let you know what happens. I'll be up there tomorrow to pick something up and will see if he'll let me look closer at the problem.

Thanks!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

There is nothing wrong with 'expired ink'. It is not an error, it's purely a notice. The expiration has to do with the warranty. A 10 year old 'expired' ink cartridge will work just fine.

I never heard of that process you quoted about empty ink cartridges. I would not attempt that unless you specifically have an ink cartridge that is showing empty on the front panel but you can feel there's obviously a lot of ink left in it. That's an entirely different issue unrelated to ink being 'expired'.

If the printer stopped printing then it's for some other reason, not because a cartridge's warranty has expired.

Kiran

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Out of curiosity I asked my contact at HP about the 'force empty ink cartridges'... this is likely if you use refilled ink cartridges, because you can refill the cartridge but the chip will remaining claiming the cartridge is empty. This seems like an extremely problematic condition to me.

Again this has nothing to do with the warranty expiring.

Kiran

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Thanks so much Kiran! That's what I needed to find out for sure. You're the best!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Talked to the person today. He said it quit printing, saying the ink was empty. He was still using the starter cartridges it came with when they bought it a couple years ago. The other day he told me it quit because the ink was expired, which I don't think anymore that that was the case at all. I told him not to worry about the expiration dates on his new cartridges, to just hit cancel when the error message comes up and it should continue to print but will give him a recurring message that the ink cartridge is expired.

The good news is that he can now look for ink when he needs it on ebay or somewhere else and not have to pay full retail prices.

It's all good now.