Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    LaserJet M553dn with a squealing transfer belt

Anyone dealt with a squealing transfer belt on these printers? Belt has only at half life status and is noisy as hell, almost sounds like a dry blade rubbing on the belt. The area the printer is in gets a lot of door traffic of customers coming in and out and it sure has been humid out lately but i am not sure of that being the cause of the noise.
    I did not have time to powder the belt to see if that would alleviate the issue as i was stopped by the client at the end of the day. So, I may go back if time allows next week to see if that helps before I order a new one. Or, is this a common problem on these printers?

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Re: LaserJet M553dn with a squealing transfer belt

There's an issue like this on some of the Toshiba color boxes: the older Denali 281C series and Masherbrum 2830C series, and some of the Weisshorns, 2555C series, 2505AC series, and 2515AC series. The inside of the primary transfer belt rubs on the rubber facing roller on the 2nd transfer end, creating the sound sorta like a theremin (like out of a sci-fi movie).

On the older Denali series the inside of the belt becomes contaminated with the degraded rubber dust from rubber inner edge. The inside of the belt can be cleaned with an orange oil based cleaner. On the newer Weisshorns the rubber coated facing roller gets coated with ... uh, something, I don't know what ... and again can be cleaned with an orange oil based cleaner. Since it's the inside of the primary transfer belt, it's not necessary to rinse with alcohol. The orange oil residue will evaporate gradually with no ill effects on image transfer. The belt does need to be removed so that the primary transfer rollers do not get contaminated with orange oil residue.

On the Denali and Masherbrum, it isn't a long term solution, since it's the rubber edge degrading on the belt, and it will continue to degrade. On the Weisshorn series' I have yet to see the issue return. There is no rubber inner edge on the Weisshorn series primary transfer belts.

I haven't had the opportunity to attempt disassembly on this HP primary transfer belt, so I don't know if it can be disassembled, reassembled, or if its the same sort of issue. Just a suggestion. =^..^=
    Last edited by blackcat4866; 07-31-2021 at 12:35 AM.
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=