Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

m426 mfp adf clicking-no feed

20k on the meter and pick rollers on feeder come down then turn but paper is not taken in. new roller kit. it makes clicking noise when it starts to feed so i'm thinking the gear that runs from motor to pick rollers, and i see that it's not spared. am i on the right track here or do the motor/gear pack go bad also? thanks--tuey

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Re: m426 mfp adf clicking-no feed

Hi Tuey, did you say the rollers go down on the paper, and they turn?

if the roller is turning, and the paper isn't moving, then either the roller isn't going down on the paper, of there are also those stop guide gates that have to lift away to allow the paper to go into the adf.

if you try to "help" the paper in when its trying to feed, does that change anything?

if the roller isn't turning, i have run into the motor doesn't turn, and i believe on that box, you have to change the complete adf assembly.

also, if there is anything sticking up around the entrance on the bottom, near the sep pad, like a foreign object or broken guide that will also stop the paper.

did this happen gradually or suddenly??

best of luck, Jim

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

yes, they go down and turn, tried helping paper-still no go. haven't tried to move stop gates. manual doesn't really address doc feed at all, not even changing rollers and sep pad. i'
    m going back monday and will get a little move involved but i believe it's gonna be a new adf or machine- what a shame to not sell parts-only whole feeders. tuey

totally, but if its like the adf they had on their so called "high speed ink jets" which were just big cheap ink jets, trying to change the adf rollers was such a pain and a joke.

and even now on the laser jet MFP lines, its really a cost ineffective dilemma for anything that goes bad.

i guess they fixed us?!

i would think if the rollers are good, and they go down and turn, something else is stopping the paper.

have a great weekend brother.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    m426 mfp adf clicking-no feed

Quote Originally Posted by tonerjockey View Post
    Hi Tuey, did you say the rollers go down on the paper, and they turn?

if the roller is turning, and the paper isn't moving, then either the roller isn't going down on the paper, of there are also those stop guide gates that have to lift away to allow the paper to go into the adf.

if you try to "help" the paper in when its trying to feed, does that change anything?

if the roller isn't turning, i have run into the motor doesn't turn, and i believe on that box, you have to change the complete adf assembly.

also, if there is anything sticking up around the entrance on the bottom, near the sep pad, like a foreign object or broken guide that will also stop the paper.

did this happen gradually or suddenly??

best of luck, Jim
    I have one doing this, but the rollers aren't turning. On this model you can open the feed cover, all you have to do is press on the paper actuator so it thinks it has paper and you can watch the gears that turn the rollers. On the problem I"m having, the gears stutter but don't turn, so I"m thinking it's the stepper motor. Machine only has 5k on it, ridiculous. Even worse is how difficult it is to swap the feeder. The entire section that the motors and gears are part of removes easily until you get to the ribbon cables, then it has to dissassembled. I don't know why they couldn't have made it easier to disconnect electronics of it.

Hello, yes my experience with one a few years ago, i think it was making a noise or something, but not turning. I had to replace the adf assembly.
    i cant remember, but think i got a refurb from either Metro fuser or Depot int. others in the past i just bought a new adf, but much more expensive.
    yes a total shame. same with the optics scanner assembly, or fusers. you need a part, sorry, its in the assembly.

and many times, after S/H, labor and tax, its not cost effective.

best of luck and have a nice day.

as for replacing the adf. if you don't have the service manual, google it, or see ? partsnow.com or Metro fuser may have it online as well.
    i think you take off the top rear, and upper side panels to get at the cables and something in the back.
    i seem to remember, i didn't follow the reassembly to a T and had a pain trying to get a screw back in the ? was under the hinge on the adf side.
    so, print out the steps, and go slow. otherwise, it wasn't to bad a job.

Mine, doing the same thing, had damaged drive gears in the drive assembly. Teeth sheared off plastic gear. No parts breakdown I could find other than replace the entire ADF assembly.