Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    HP M602 noisey and jamming

I have a pair of M602 that are making a lot of noise that seems to come from the exit section. When the machine is running it makes a racket and the vibrations seem to come from the exit section. Both machine are jamming intermittently just before the fuser section. The paper buckles and doesn't go through the fuser.

Because this customer has three MFPs with us. We sold them a Kyocera P3150dn printer a few months ago that was put into the owners office. She is real happy with that printer. So now I am to work on their HPs.

I think the problem is with the fuser units. One machine is calling for maintenance. The other had a maintenance kit installed not too long ago (allegedly). The noise and the jamming are the same on both machines.

I haven't worked on HP printers much so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: HP M602 noisey and jamming

Quote Originally Posted by Samanator View Post
    I have a pair of M602 that are making a lot of noise that seems to come from the exit section. When the machine is running it makes a racket and the vibrations seem to come from the exit section. Both machine are jamming intermittently just before the fuser section. The paper buckles and doesn't go through the fuser.

Because this customer has three MFPs with us. We sold them a Kyocera P3150dn printer a few months ago that was put into the owners office. She is real happy with that printer. So now I am to work on their HPs.

I think the problem is with the fuser units. One machine is calling for maintenance. The other had a maintenance kit installed not too long ago (allegedly). The noise and the jamming are the same on both machines.

I haven't worked on HP printers much so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    I would say you need to replace the swing plate & fuser assembly

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

What is a swing plate?

I've worked on several hundred HPs with those symptoms. I'd be willing to bet that you could get away with replacing the fuser by itself. I would also take a look at the teeth of the drive gears too. A lot of times if you were to change the fuser and the noise would be louder then that would indicate the gears on the swing plate are bad.

The swing plate is essentially a cluster of gears that takes the power from the fuser motor to the fuser drive gear on the fuser itself.

The 2400s were notorious for needing to replace the fuser drive gears when replacing the fuser. You would have a service call for noise and you would see their fuser is all gummed up and bearings are failing. Once you replace the fuser the noise would get louder. You would change out the fuser drive gears then it would become quiet as a purring kitty.

Little tidbit of helpful info for anyone who does decide to change the swing plate assembly. Pull out the power supply if you seem to be having a hard time getting the wires routed. I spent 3 hours on one machine because I refused to pull a power supply. I did the exact same job on an identical machine and was done completely from first screw turned to power on test in about 25 minutes.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I want to thank everyone for their help with this issue.

I now have a better understanding of what need to be done.

With y'alls help, I was able to put together an estimate for the customer.

If she decides to repair both machines, we win. If she decides it would better to upgrade to a pair of Kyocera printers, we win.

Thanks again.