Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Firmware update "not a valid file" error message on Designjet T770

Re: Firmware update "not a valid file" error message on Designjet T770

Did you replace the hard drive in this printer by any chance?

Kiran

Also, if you would:

Get a picture of the 'invalid file' message, please.

Is that service print from March? Or is the date/time on the printer wrong? If so, set the right date/time on the printer and restart it.

Did you restart the printer after sending the first firmware file? If no, try sending the first file, restart the printer, then try the 2nd file.

What's strange is my contact at HP has never seen the version firmware your printer is currently running. We're curious if you replaced the hard drive at some point, but I doubt you did on both printers, so I'm guessing you haven't. Do you happen to have that firmware from updating it in the past?

Kiran

PS - One interesting note; the MD5 hash HP has for the firmware, doesn't match the actual hash of either firmware file.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Hard drive has never been replaced to my knowledge.

I brought the printer home in March and first thing I did was print those info sheets out. That's why they're dated March of 2021. Date on printer is correct now, as you'll see in the pictures.

The only date problem is on the EWS, which this fw update was supposed to take care of.

As far as having the fw from past updates, I've never been able to get this printer or my T1200 to take an update. Same error messages.

Yes, after sending the smaller of the two fw updates, the printer rebooted, did a count of percentage up to 100% as it should do after a fw update (large numbers filling the screen, not the boot sequence when normally starting the printer) then it started the regular boot process and came to ready state. Checked the fw number again on the "Info" menu and nothing had changed. Still read TT6-TTAJ_08.3.1.2

When doing the larger update of TT6-TTAJ_03_04_00.1 the panel would say "receiving" for about 10-15 seconds, then throw the error code of "Update failed: Invalid File". (See picture.)

Let me know if you need more. I think one of my posts showed the screen shot on the laptop of the error messages rec'd each time I tried to upload the fw updates to the printer.

Also tried this same procedure on a Macbook Pro a few days ago and same result.

BTW, the printer works just fine as it is. But a person who was looking to buy it asked if the fw updates were all done and I told them I was having trouble with this latest update. That's why I'm trying to make sure the fw isn't going to cause a problem for them down the road. If I have to, I'll buy a new hard driver from LPS Computer that sells hard drives with virgin software, never installed.

20211014_115558.jpg20211014_115742.jpg20211015_122553.jpg20211015_122531.jpg

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

BTW, does your friend have any idea about the "CRDOWNLOAD" file I took a screen shot of back on Page one? That one really baffles me because it downloads without asking and then never seems to complete the download. Maybe take a look at the screen shot?

The CRDOWNLOAD is just a partial file download; that's Chrome's nomenclature. It's unrelated to HP.

Thanks for the information, I'll pass it along.

The MD5 of the larger of the two files is: 600ef5ee87ae29907a3d1a7242594625 if you want to verify your own download. There's a hash tool you can get from the Microsoft Store to calculate MD5 hashes. I doubt your download is the problem though.

Kiran

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Have you happened to hear anything from your friend at HP?

Not yet, sorry. Since these are out of support, they're trying to find someone with one who can test the firmware.

As soon as I hear something I'll let you know.

Kiran

Thumbs up Re: Firmware update "not a valid file" error message on Designjet T770

Please help! I am not a technican, but was experiencing the exact same issue of not being able to up HP Designjet T770 with "not a valid file" and was not able to use the updated HP72b cartridges on the T770 without updating the firmware. After the offical HP firmware would not work (first update did, but second did not) I found this forum and downloaded firmware files from the post above. The first firmware file (TT6-TTAJ_08_02_03.3.90_mvl40-x86-opt_B) went through after I agreed it was unsigned firmware and the printer rebooted fine, but was still not accepting the HP 72b cartridges so I installed the second firmware file from the link above (TT6-TTAJ_08_03_01.2_mvl40-x86-opt_B.signed). The firmware installed and rebooted the printer, but once it turned back on it only displays ***manufacter mode*** on the HP T770 screen and I cannot do anything to change it. How do I get past the ***manufacter mode*** display and get back to the printer working?

Any help from anybody would be greatly appreciated

I would try to get to into the diagnostics menu from a powered off state, and see if doing the EEROM Reset has an effect. Maybe also do the File System Check. Last option would be the Hard Disk Recovery Utility that will put the factory firmware back in place.

I asked my friend at HP and they had no info on the 'manufacturer mode', unfortunately.

Kiran