Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Firmware update "not a valid file" error message on Designjet T770

Been trying to update the firmware on a T770 24" printer and having no success. Have downloaded the FW several times, thinking it might be getting corrupted in the download process. Transfer to the printer using EWS "Update Firmware" feature and get same error message. So loaded the file onto a clean USB key and tried the emergency FW update process according to the service manual and same error message. (Different downloaded file used.) Used the process found in the service manual. I THINK the USB key is clean of any other software since it says "No files found" when selected.

I'm beginning to think the problem is on HP's end and that the file is corrupted on their end. As old as this printer is, I doubt they'll be fixing it if that's the problem.

I was wondering if others have run into this problem and if maybe there's a solution I haven't thought of yet or if there's something I'm doing wrong that causing the file to be corrupted. I've tried doing it from both a laptop and a desktop compter and no difference.

Any insight is much appreciated.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: Firmware update "not a valid file" error message on Designjet T770

What version firmware is the printer on currently? And what's the filename of the download you're trying to use?

Kiran

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Hi Kiran:

Firmware on the printer now: TT6-TTAJ_8.3.1.2 OS ITER 0.0.9
    That's the display on the panel right now.

Trying to update to: (easier to just post the link) HP DesignJet T770 Printer series Software and Driver Downloads | HP(R) Customer Support

I was trying to update to this:

HP Designjet T1200 and T770 Printer series Firmware Upgrade
    TT6-TTAJ_08_04_00.1
    There are a couple more firware updates on there that I've tried, thinking those have to be installed first but got the same "Invalid File" error on both. Tried different USB's and tried different computers. Nothing. What do you suppose I'm doing wrong?

I also have a T1200 and have tried using the EWS to update that firmware also and same problem. Different desktop used and different file download used.

TIA for any help.

There's 2 files that have to be uploaded in order:

Two firmware need to be installed following this order

1. TT6-TTAJ_08_02_03.3.90_mvl40-x86-opt_B.fmw
    2. TT6-TTAJ_08_04_00.1_mvl40-x86-opt_B.signed.fmw

Have you done this?

Kiran

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I'm pretty sure I did but let me try them again to be sure and get back to you.

Thanks!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Tried installing both files as you indicated and used a different cable, used three different laptops, downloaded the files from HP using an ethernet cable instead of wireless connection, changed the OS to Windows 7 64bit and tried that as well as Windows 10 64bit and still getting the same error message. The smaller of the two files seems to go through though but nothing changes on the front panel of the printer as far as firmware file name. The larger file goes and then after about 3 minutes or so, throws up the "Invalid file" error on the printer and the laptop gives an update unsuccessful error and suggests the file is maybe not for this printer or is corrupted and to try again.

Weird.

But when I read the description of the update it says it's just to fix the EWS so the date will read past 2020. Right now, it won't go past 2020, even after all the download attempts. So what I'm saying is that maybe this 400-something FW update isn't that important after all. Seems like a pretty large file just to fix that date issue. The date on the printer panel reads just fine.

What do you think?

I'll see what I can find out because I want to know why this isn't working, too.

I'm also unsure what the >2020 date issue is with the EWS; seems trivial since few people even use it. I doubt it impacts the printer's usability.

Kiran

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Here's three screen shots of the error messages plus a screen shot of another file that downloaded by itself when I downloaded the first file:

Don't know what the "CRDOWNLOAD" file is. It only shows up when I download the other firmware files using Window 7 laptop. Doesn't appear on Win 10.

Also, I'm having exact same issue with my T1200MFP printer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

I had a few HP printers in the past where I had to install an older firmware version in order to install the latest one. This was back when HP had a reliable and readily accessible FTP site to pull their files. Their website has consistently been terrible and just seems to get worse by the year.

Check the change history for the firmware and see if there are any dependcies where it requires a minimum version in order to install any of the mdoules.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Attached is the error log from when I first got the printer back in March of 2021. Shows firmware that's been used up to current firmware that's running now.
    Attached Files Attached Files