Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Retired 10,000+ Posts
    LaserJet 2420 grey background - posted on behalf of AlanHK

Re: LaserJet 2420 grey background

Quote Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
    This shows the slit glass, I think? On the top of the cart; no shutter though. The only shutter is on the bottom, over the drum.
    A smear of toner on the left. Cleaned it but print quality not improved. Still plenty of toner marks on the drum. So this is a symptom, not a cause.
    No, I think that is the opening in the cartridge that the laser projects through. The laser shield glass would be in the main body of the printer above that opening when the cartridge is inserted.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    No, I think that is the opening in the cartridge that the laser projects through. The laser shield glass would be in the main body of the printer above that opening when the cartridge is inserted.
    There's a slot above the cart, as image. No shutter or visible glass though. The laser unit is inside so presumably has the shield as part of it.
    Won't go into there unless the new cart doesn't fix it. Need to take off most of the covers to get into that, and every time I do that I cringe, thinking the plastic tabs may snap off.
    15 year old plastic gets brittle. I used to have a 2100, held the case and doors together with duct tape for the last year or so as it crumbled away.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Retired 10,000+ Posts

There's a slot above the cart, as image. No shutter or visible glass though. The laser unit is inside so presumably has the shield as part of it.
    Won't go into there unless the new cart doesn't fix it. Need to take off most of the covers to get into that, and every time I do that I cringe, thinking the plastic tabs may snap off.
    15 year old plastic gets brittle. I used to have a 2100, held the case and doors together with duct tape for the last year or so as it crumbled away.
    The shield glass serves one purpose, keeping toner and dust from getting into the laser unit.You can clean it by wiping it with a lint free dust clothe, but doing so will not help the problem you have. A dirty shield glass causes light images and void streaks.

Technician

Still can't see a shield on the slot, or several mm inside it. No mention in the service manual.
    But hopefully the problem is just the cartridge.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Still can't see a shield on the slot, or several mm inside it. No mention in the service manual.
    But hopefully the problem is just the cartridge.
    As others said your problem is in cart not in Laser unit. Also check inside printer for bent contacts especially where they mate with cartridge contacts.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Yeah, that seems likely. I asked in the manuals forum for some docs on the cartridge and got a remanufacturer's manual.
    That included a list of common problems:

Which describes the printout pretty much.
    I assume the dirty drum is consistent with this.

Since this happened after I moved the previously good cart to a "new" machine my assumption was that the problem was the printer. But I guess transferring the cart somehow damaged it. Maybe a poor electrical contact.Though I've taken it in and and out of the first printer dozens of times to clear jams.

I've had a few carts broken out of the box, but none that have failed in service before.

This shows the slit glass, I think? On the top of the cart; no shutter though. The only shutter is on the bottom, over the drum.
    A smear of toner on the left. Cleaned it but print quality not improved. Still plenty of toner marks on the drum. So this is a symptom, not a cause.

So: seems clear the problem is the cartridge, so will replace.
    If my wife allowed me to keep the old printer and its cart I would have been able to swap it in to confirm, but such are the constraints of working from home...

Might try to crack the cartridge. Probably can't fix it without new parts but it will be educational.

I'm sure that's true, but the HP cartridge is A$379.97. Compatibles are $25-$35. In 30 years I've only had a few issues with non-HP carts, so I accept the risk. Larger businesses may have a different calculation.
    But found someone local reselling a genuine HP cart almost as cheap, so will see if I can get that.

Thanks all for the advice.
    I had a quick look on eBay & there a loads of new Genuine HP Q6511X 11X cartridges for peanuts.

HP 11X/Q6511X Toner Cartridge Black SHOP.INSPIRE.CHANGE | eBay
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    I had a quick look on eBay & there a loads of new Genuine HP Q6511X 11X cartridges for peanuts.HP 11X/Q6511X Toner Cartridge Black SHOP.INSPIRE.CHANGE | eBay
    Interesting, thanks for heads up.
    Until recently I lived in Hong Kong, and ebay is uneconomic there, ridiculous shipping fees for almost all items.
    More local vendors in Aust.

Re: LaserJet 2420 grey background - posted on behalf of AlanHK

Your wiper blade is defective.Change cartridge or change wiper blade.