Senior Tech 100+ Posts Madnhain's Avatar

Question Usage reports over network

I recently inherited a hospital territory, each month somebody has to walk around the hospital collecting usage sheets from HPs. We have software running that collects the networked printers, but there are still over 300 printers that are used as local printers that we have to manually retrieve usage reports from.

Does anyone know of any way to obtain usage reports from a local printer remotely? Or if it's even possible?

Thanks.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Re: Usage reports over network

What software do you have collecting the networked printer reads?

It may offer a client component that would install on each PC hosting the (assumably USB) connected printers.

Any meter collecting software would require such an installed client on each PC.

In the event there are printers connected to something other than a Windows PC, it may be impossible to read from those. (Possibly Mac, but that’s quite doubtful.)

In any event, it won’t be a free solution, but should prove to be quite cost effective, given the expense, time, and effort required to do do manually. Not to mention the potential for human error.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Madnhain's Avatar

I work for a fairly large company and the software used was written in-house by our technology team. I was hoping to be able to present them with a solution that wouldn't involve local installs on over 500 computers.

I knew it was a long shot... In order to install anything on a hospital computer, it has to be approved by the Hospital IST dept. As you can imagine, they have VERY rigid security protocols in place, Getting a port opened takes an act of congress.

Looks like I may be getting my steps in!

Thanks!

You just need some MPS software. You don't need to install anything on hospital computer, you will be able to read everything from your computer.

One of the best: MPS Overview | Clover Imaging Group USA

Print tracker ask for a demo

Been there worked for two companies that used meters read one used a hardware box connected to the network the other used software.

I personally liked the software as you can deploy it via email the other was if the the box failed to report was a service call to find the box than usally do a power reset.