Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

HP DesignJet T830 - not detecting paper

Working on a T830 that keeps saying that it can not detect the paper either Roll or from the Multi Sheet tray. Have replaced that OOP sensor as pre the tests ran and said that is what needed replaced. Still saying it can not detect any paper. It will roll in the paper or take it from the Multi Sheet tray but keeps saying when you try and copy or print that it can not detect the paper. Anyone else work on these had this problem? Thanks

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: HP DesignJet T830 - not detecting paper

It's the line sensor attached to the carriage. Very easy to replace. CQ890-67001

However, you may have ink from the service station fouling the sensor. So I would take the old one out and inspect it. If it's coated with ink, you may want to consider replacing the service station and checking for a ink leak from the printhead.

Kiran

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Kiran nails it. I just replaced the service station on a T730 (same printer minus the scanner) due to the problem you describe above. This one was doing the exact same thing; showing the paper error you detailed. The previous owner had a worn printhead that wasn't printing very well so he kept doing cleaning cycles on it. And then the black begin to leak. It left so much ink on the service station it kept picking up ink and smearing across the paper and fouling the line sensor. Ended up having to just replace the whole service station (and the print head). There's that little brush you can see on the right hand side of the carriage when it's parked that I think is meant to keep the line sensor clean. This one was completely soaked with ink and hardened. Quite the mess. Now it's back up and running and happy. For what it is, it does nice line prints and is fast, compared to others. But the cost of that printhead....wowser! I found one on Ebay from Japan for a lot less, $284 delivered. And Kiran sent me a link for the service station. Around $125 + shipping. It's a pretty easy fix.

EDIT: FYI, it took about 3 weeks to get the printhead. I was a bit wary of buying from overseas since I didn't know if there was a region compatibility issue or not but it worked just fine.
    Last edited by D Hook; 02-24-2022 at 01:06 PM.

Thanks guys will try that and let you know.

Thanks guys for the help in getting the machine up and running again. Back in the customers office. Yes

Thanks

I have a T830 doing this. I have replaced the service station and the line sensor, and an hour later it went back to not loading paper. Is there a calibration I need to do after these replacements? What else could be causing the problem. Thank you for any help you can provide!

I'd check your work on the line sensor replacement. And there should be a test for the line sensor in the diagnostics menu you can run which will tell you if it's the problem or not. Make sure the encoder strip is clean.

Kiran

I'm having the same issues and replaced the OOPS sensor but still am having load paper issues. Where is the line sensor located? I see the sensors on page 224 of the service manual but not sure which one is the line sensor. Update, I found it. Its located on the printhead.
    Last edited by copiertec; 10-11-2023 at 02:15 PM.

Thank you so much for the helpful info above. When my DJ T830 stopped detecting the paper roll, I found this thread and inspected the print head to discover a massive leak from it. I followed the instructions to remove the right cover to confirm that the leak extended down to the line sensor, brush and all the areas around and below them. I just ordered a new service station and print head on Ebay. I am a little intimidated by the service station replacement, but the manual is pretty detailed. My question: do I need any other replacements parts (line sensor, etc.) and what else should I watch out for in replacing the SS?

The hardest part of replacing the service station, I find, is the little vacuum tube and the T fitting that snaps into a holder on the service station. Take a real good look at it before taking it apart, and follow the service manual. Also just getting the service station out sometimes is a challenge. Helps to push down on it while pulling it out. Be careful with it because it will be full of fluid ink and is easy to spill.

I've had them with fouled line sensors but I just removed the screw holding it to the carriage and cleaned it without removing/disconnecting it.

Kiran