Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    HP M477fnw image quality issues

A customer of mine asked if I knew how to fix a HP Color Laserjet M477fnw. I told them I didn't but I would look into what it might take to fix it. It looks to me like something contaminated the transfer belt, but I really know nothing about laserjet printers. It's made +70K prints. Is this printer worth repairing? Attached is an example of what it's doing. Anytime they print something with a lot of color, that area ends up repeatedly showing part of a print in that area. It looks like it's always in the same place though, from the examples I saw. I've attached an example. They are using HP supplies, but at one time had tried 3rd party cartridges. After they leaked toner they went back to the HPs. I don't know how old the printer is.

Thanks,

Kiran
    Attached Files Attached Files

Re: HP M477fnw image quality issues

Quote Originally Posted by Kiran Otter View Post
    A customer of mine asked if I knew how to fix a HP Color Laserjet M477fnw. I told them I didn't but I would look into what it might take to fix it. It looks to me like something contaminated the transfer belt, but I really know nothing about laserjet printers. It's made +70K prints. Is this printer worth repairing? Attached is an example of what it's doing. Anytime they print something with a lot of color, that area ends up repeatedly showing part of a print in that area. It looks like it's always in the same place though, from the examples I saw. I've attached an example. They are using HP supplies, but at one time had tried 3rd party cartridges. After they leaked toner they went back to the HPs. I don't know how old the printer is.

Thanks,

Kiran
    I think it's more of a fuser problem, did you take a look at the wear condition of the fuser? Try locking the sheet before it completely exits the fuser to be sure.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

It looks like fuser to me too. The measurement I took from your scan looks like 2.23" or 56.6mm. That's a bit small for a heat roller, but maybe correct for the pressure roller. It should be obvious from the examination of the fuser rollers if the problem is there. The 56.6mm defect interval indicates a roller of 18mm diameter.

This is not one of those HP fusers that is particularly easy to get to. The book shows all the covers coming off to get it out.
    =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

This is definitely fuser. I speak from experience because on this stupid model, you can't check the condition of the rollers without removing it.

Removal is tricky but YouTube has everything you need. The bigger problem is the $$. These are considered throw away printers by many because of parts and labor expense.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Fuser, if its simplex. looking about 250.00 plus installation(20-30minutes) If its duplex 350 and up for fuser. Didn't see d in your definition of model so it's simplex.

Thanks for the input from everyone. Sounds like it's not worth it to repair it, at least in this situation. Plus I probably wouldn't attempt it, even with the service manual. Laserjets aren't my gig.

Kiran

I (like a few others) have replaced several fusers on the 477 and its printer counterpart the 452. The biggest trick is getting the side covers off. It takes a little more fiddling with the 477 due to the scanner being there, but it can be done.

Given the overall cost of the printer vs the cost of parts plus labor, they may as well buy a new printer, if that’s an option. Some of us have to fix them anyway due to service contracts.