HP M402 Only Allows OEM Cartridges

Hi All

i have a customer that refuses to pay the high price of HP OEM Toner. They've been buying the same high quality compatibles from us for years and they've had zero issues. Now all of a sudden some of their printers will only take oem toners. I know the compatibles havent changed and as of now its specific to their M402's. Is there a fix. I've heard HP's been doing not so good things with firmware to force people to buy oem. I've checked all of the printer settings and did disconnect them from HP services. Everything seems to be set correctly with still the same result.

thanks in advance.

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

Re: HP M402 Only Allows OEM Cartridges

Quote Originally Posted by tecchie View Post
    Hi All

i have a customer that refuses to pay the high price of HP OEM Toner. They've been buying the same high quality compatibles from us for years and they've had zero issues. Now all of a sudden some of their printers will only take oem toners. I know the compatibles havent changed and as of now its specific to their M402's. Is there a fix. I've heard HP's been doing not so good things with firmware to force people to buy oem. I've checked all of the printer settings and did disconnect them from HP services. Everything seems to be set correctly with still the same result.

thanks in advance.
    Sounds like it got the latest firmware, which kills the ability to use third party carts. See procedure below:
    Hp Firmware toner killer.pdf

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

that I know this problem is on the HP 404/428

I performed a firmware update to an M402 to the 2021118 version and the compatible toner works without problems.

You have in settings: Allow non HP cartridges. Set up that and they will work.
    If that is done, then you have cartridges which are with old chip. In that cause, you need antoher chips or just claim cartridges, ask for a working ones. Chip is available in market from 2021.
    Another solutions is downgrade firmware.

Printer firmware is !&$! 100+ Posts

Sue HP again?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    HP M402 Only Allows OEM Cartridges

One of my vendors (non HP) did the same thing last fall. They updated firmware, and Katun toner
    would not work. Took them about a month to get it to work, so in the mean time, we just back dated
    the toner and locked it out so it couldn't automatically receive the update.
    PITA but yeah, I get it.
    I just wish consumers would put enough pressure on the entire industry for charging what they do for
    C,M,Y toner/ink, but less for black.