Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    HP m601 bar code printing

Hey all, I've got a customer that has an old lexmark 640 series printer that they use for printing bar codes. On that old model, there was a chip that was installed to allow for that option. I mostly do HP printers and Kyocera copiers, they have a Kyocera 6525 which doesn't seem to want to print those out. I was researching the HP M601s as I have a lot of those in the field, it seems there is a way to get it to print bar codes (part #hg271tt) but I can't really find any information out about it. Is it a usb plug in that downloads the fonts into the printer? I didn't sell them the lexmark, they had it before I sold them the kyocera copier, so I can always back out of this hot mess, but thought I'd try and help if it's not a big ordeal. I have an HP m601 in stock with less than 20k on it for sale, so if I can figure out a way to make it print bar codes that would solve the problem but this seems to be a ridiculously difficult option to find information on.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Re: HP m601 bar code printing

On the Kyocera you'll need the compact flash card with the pre-loaded barcode fonts Let me look up the specific version ...

This one: Barcode Flash Type B/C

There is a place in the print menu to "start" the barcode font operation.

I've attached the readme file. It doesn't list the Matsuri since it was released after this barcode font (oops ... it's too big to attach). =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    On the Kyocera you'll need the compact flash card with the pre-loaded barcode fonts Let me look up the specific version ...

This one: Barcode Flash Type B/C

There is a place in the print menu to "start" the barcode font operation.

I've attached the readme file. It doesn't list the Matsuri since it was released after this barcode font (oops ... it's too big to attach). =^..^=

Is it something that can be downloaded from Kyocera's website and put on a thumbdrive for installation? I'm looking but I don't see it, might be looking in the wrong place. Or, does it needed to be ordered from Kyocera?

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

I’ve always had good luck with these, a.though it’s been a few years.

They’re printer agnostic, and will work with pretty much any printer which supports PCL5.

The barcodes they print are always sharp and clear, so that they scan quite reliably.

https://bardimm.com/wp-content/uploa..._datasheet.pdf
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    I’ve always had good luck with these, a.though it’s been a few years.

They’re printer agnostic, and will work with pretty much any printer which supports PCL5.

The barcodes they print are always sharp and clear, so that they scan quite reliably.

https://bardimm.com/wp-content/uploa..._datasheet.pdf

Thanks, I'll c heck into this. I found the Kyocera information, yea for that model it a cf card that has to be ordered from Kyocera from what I can tell. Yea, this is going to be a learning process, never had to do it before. Not the easiest things to find information on either. https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=5334f...FkLnBkZg&ntb=1

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

You can download a trial version ... I can even provide the download ... but it has to be on a very specific, very unusually sized CF card to work as a permanent option. It will time out in 30 days, and have to be re-started again. I don't know how many times you are allowed to re-start the trial.

Earlier versions of the barcode font did not require a specifically sized CF card, and could be easily knocked off ... but not these. They re-wrote the software to prevent that. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    You can download a trial version ... I can even provide the download ... but it has to be on a very specific, very unusually sized CF card to work as a permanent option. It will time out in 30 days, and have to be re-started again. I don't know how many times you are allowed to re-start the trial.

Earlier versions of the barcode font did not require a specifically sized CF card, and could be easily knocked off ... but not these. They re-wrote the software to prevent that. =^..^=

That would be great, a trial version would at least let me know if it would work or not first. Do you have the specs of the CF card? I'll probably have to order one.