Thread: HP E87740DN

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    HP E87740DN

HP E87740DN

Hello, I'm setting up an HP E87740DN for another dealer.

Reading through the installation instructions it refers to a speed license for this series. Does the HP E87740DN require a speed license or is it the default speed model?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts DRichard's Avatar

Re: HP E87740DN

Quote Originally Posted by nathicana View Post
    Hello, I'm setting up an HP E87740DN for another dealer.

Reading through the installation instructions it refers to a speed license for this series. Does the HP E87740DN require a speed license or is it the default speed model?
    40 ppm will be the default speed. On your configuration page, LPDC will show "Not Configured" and its speed CAN be increased in the future if a (faster) license is purchased. These models are fairly new and my understanding of HP's new way of handling their LPDC is still not clear, but I have been told (by one of our sales reps) that HP no longer bothers making the slowest speed within these new series available...that is ONLY the faster speeds will be available for purchase. Can someone out there verify this?

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    HP E87740DN

Speed licenses are an interesting new trend and I understand the benefit for both for an OEM and a dealer. Both have to inventory fewer boxes.

I think only Kyocera and HP offer it.

On a Toshiba copier the difference between a 25-30 cpm and a 35 -45 cpm is that there are two vs three heater lamps inside the fuser hot roller. So there is a physical difference not just a software license to buy.

Toshiba's 55 and 65 cpm are a different more robust fuser design altogether.

Sounds like HP is not offering speed licenses on less than 40 cpm so their higher speed models must all have the same fuser. That must mean that their 40 ppm is really designed as a 70 ppm slowed down.

It will be interesting to see how durable these machines are after few years. Leading edge usually means bleeding edge and HP has never been that great at taking care of their dealers.
    Last edited by SalesServiceGuy; 11-03-2022 at 11:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    Speed licenses are an interesting new trend and I understand the benefit for both for an OEM and a dealer. Both have to inventory fewer boxes.

I think only Kyocera and HP offer it.

On a Toshiba copier the difference between a 25-30 cpm and a 35 -45 cpm is that there are two vs three heater lamps inside the fuser hot roller. So there is a physical difference not just a software license to buy.

Toshiba's 55 and 65 cpm are a different more robust fuser design altogether.

Sounds like HP is not offering speed licenses on less than 40 cpm so their higher speed models must all have the same fuser. That must mean that their 40 ppm is really designed as a 70 ppm slowed down.

It will be interesting to see how durable these machines are after few years. Leading edge usually means bleeding edge and HP has never been that great at taking care of their dealers.
    Totally agree. This series can be made to run at 40, 50, 60 OR 70 ppm...We will see what the future holds???

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    HP E87740DN

I went through the setup and when I turned the machine on after a minute or two it threw a code 63.00.30

I have the service manual but there is no sign of any error code index. Can somebody help me determine this error?

HP E87740DN

Quote Originally Posted by DRichard View Post
    Totally agree. This series can be made to run at 40, 50, 60 OR 70 ppm...We will see what the future holds???
    Some customers want faster copiers just for the speed and not so much for the print volume.

Some customers want faster copiers to handle higher print volumes quicker.

I am not sure one fuser for four speeds is the way to go at high print volumes.

HP E87740DN

... it looks like a speed license for the new HP E8000 series costs $3,264.00 USD. I do not know if that license will take you from 40 to 70 cpm or jumping up 30 cpm would cost even more.

It does seems like a great way for HP to generate more revenue for no extra cost.
    Last edited by SalesServiceGuy; 11-05-2022 at 01:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nathicana View Post
    I went through the setup and when I turned the machine on after a minute or two it threw a code 63.00.30

I have the service manual but there is no sign of any error code index. Can somebody help me determine this error?
    From page 634 of the CPMD...
    63.00.2E, 63.00.2F, 63.00.30, or 63.00.31
    The laser scanner unit (LSU) motor error.

Printer firmware is !&$! 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    Some customers want faster copiers just for the speed and not so much for the print volume.

Some customers want faster copiers to handle higher print volumes quicker.

I am not sure one fuser for four speeds is the way to go at high print volumes.

Many manufacturers do this already its not just a HP thing. They will serapate 40PPM upwards from 20-40ppm machines. The 20-40ppm will all be almost all identical, and the 40-60ppm will be almost all indentical (sometimes minor psu differences and different data chips for storing device information)

The cost of having to manufacture individual product lines for each type of copier is just to high to give a damn about it.