Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    HP Laserjet M633 MFP not able to scan to email

HP Laserjet M633 MFP not able to scan to email

Scanning to email with customers' 365 smtp settings and credentials does not go through. Its been working for a week and then slowly the emails stopped working all together. It just sits in the sending "processing" queue on the machine all day. I tried entering my own gmail settings with an app password and that doesn't work either.

The machine is able to copy through ADF and glass, scan to USB, print from network, and send and receive faxes.

I was unable to test scan to folder as the PC needed admin rights.

TLS is set from 1.1 to 3.something.

There was not an option for different SMB settings, but I don't know if that would make a difference for scanning to email.

They mentioned someone came 5 months ago to replace the ADF assembly for similar problems, but its been working fine ever since. Just for good measure, I reseated all the connectors on the rear Scanner board and Formatter and hard drive. Still no go on scan to email, super weird. I even changed out the network cable.

Any suggestions would be great!

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Re: HP Laserjet M633 MFP not able to scan to email

I've experienced similar issues on other HP MFP's using the 365 email parameters. The only work around I found for it was to create an email account through another pay program. I've used these same parameters for 5 customers with zero issues so far. It appears that 365 has made changes where it doesn't support this anymore. I haven't been able to find where these changes occurred.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Re: HP Laserjet M633 MFP not able to scan to email

Firmware up to date?

Microsoft has been disabling basic authentication for all M365 tenants, so unless the account being used has had SMTP Auth enabled, it's not going to work.

You also need to be using at least TLS 1.2 for sending. If the machine can only support TLS 1.1 or SSL 3.0 then it's going to have a tough time working. Check for newer firmware and also disable all SSL versions and any TLS version below 1.2.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk