HP Color LaserJet 2600n - How to fix

Apologies for posting in the wrong section before.

I have a HP 2600n that I was given for free and I was wondering if it's possible to fix it.

The test print and the transfer belt look like this:

IMG_5966.jpg

IMG_5965.jpg

What would I need to do to fix this?

I've looked up the cost of toner and a replacement transfer belt, and all up it costs more than 50% of a new laser printer. So it's not worth fixing unless I know it can be saved.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

Re: HP Color LaserJet 2600n - How to fix

I don't know this machine, but we have the much bigger 5500 and the quality is decent. First do a clean up of the machine, all loose toner, and run the calibration. The transfer belt may not need to be replaced as the condition is from the defective drum units that are bad.

You can only tell after a cleanup. Remove the fuser unit and look at the rollers, if they are good then, you can spend money on the consumables and have a decent printer. Don't be alarmed at the printout you see. That is because it has not been maintained and the last owner decide not to spend money on it, but now its your call.

After cleanup, stop the print before it reaches the fuser[ open the door] and then look at the toner cartridges drums and see which one are bad, probably all are. Check the levels of the consumables from the machine or connect it to the webserver and you can see it there. Then price out what need to be changed and you have to decide what you willing to spend.

Also run the machine a bit and see if there are any other issues, like jams ect.
    Last edited by subaro; 01-06-2023 at 05:09 AM.
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AusPrinterGuy View Post
    Apologies for posting in the wrong section before.

I have a HP 2600n that I was given for free and I was wondering if it's possible to fix it.

The test print and the transfer belt look like this:

IMG_5966.jpg

IMG_5965.jpg

What would I need to do to fix this?

I've looked up the cost of toner and a replacement transfer belt, and all up it costs more than 50% of a new laser printer. So it's not worth fixing unless I know it can be saved.
    Yes you need to replaced the transfer belt.

However since you got it for free see if you can take off the cleaning blade, give that a clean then reassemble & test.

I had a look on eBay there is a new belt for sale £50.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I worked on these a good bit back in the day.

I'd recommend looking at the cartridges first. It looks like bad cartridges. I see the magenta is OEM, but, doesn't mean it's good.

The biggest issue that I usually ran across is a dirty laser/scanner. This is a known issue with these things. Remove the laser/scanner, open it up and clean the lenses.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Your M Toner cartridge is the issue likely to be full of waste toner, you might still find cartridges for these machines. This transfer belt doesn't have a cleaning blade, you can wipe that toner off the belt gently with soft cloth. I think Y is shot as well
    Defects are simple, our mind is complicated

Thanks for the replies. From what I've seen from maintenance videos, the comments here echo what's in the videos, the cartridges are bad and need replacing (they are also reported as empty so would have needed replacing anyway).

I'll decide if it's worth even trying since I just snagged a working Brother HL-3170CDW and the consumables for that are user replaceable and much easier to come by.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AusPrinterGuy View Post
    Thanks for the replies. From what I've seen from maintenance videos, the comments here echo what's in the videos, the cartridges are bad and need replacing (they are also reported as empty so would have needed replacing anyway).

I'll decide if it's worth even trying since I just snagged a working Brother HL-3170CDW and the consumables for that are user replaceable and much easier to come by.
    Agree with previous suggestions, I would go with Brother, I think it's easier for you to handle and less headaches for now.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Lance15 View Post
    I worked on these a good bit back in the day.

I'd recommend looking at the cartridges first. It looks like bad cartridges. I see the magenta is OEM, but, doesn't mean it's good.

The biggest issue that I usually ran across is a dirty laser/scanner. This is a known issue with these things. Remove the laser/scanner, open it up and clean the lenses.
    Exactly, first step should be the lens as it is in idiotic location. I had the same printer also given for free.
    Less than 200 pages printed on genuine consumables - same effect as on picture above. Cleaning the cartridge did nothing. Seems like developer blade got weaker with time and started to dust the toner on the page.