Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Can you turn an HP M608x into an M608n?

Does anyone know if you can fully turn and HP M608x printer into an M608n printer?
    I replaced the formatter and user screen to the M608n series. The screen doesn't show correctly. It is missing segments. Then I replaced the DC controller with the same results.

The only differences between the two that I have found are the user screen sizes / touch screen and the wireless function on the X series.

Thanks.

Jtech

Technician

Re: Can you turn an HP M608x into an M608n?

Why to even attempt replacing formatter? The main PCA might be the same like it is with OfficeJet Pro X and PageWide but the software is different.
    If you do not care to brick the device you could try to push firmware from the other device via factory reflash. I do not know if the printer check for checksums or anything like that but this is an idea nevertheless.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mroq View Post
    Why to even attempt replacing formatter? The main PCA might be the same like it is with OfficeJet Pro X and PageWide but the software is different.
    If you do not care to brick the device you could try to push firmware from the other device via factory reflash. I do not know if the printer check for checksums or anything like that but this is an idea nevertheless.

The only difference between the two is the formatter (608x has wireless option) and the user control screen.
    I swapped the formatter to a K0Q14-60002 and a RM2-1259 screen. I formatted the printer afterward and uploaded the correct firmware. The user screen stayed fairly dark. It was very hard to read.
    I then swapped the LVPS and the DC controller, hoping that would work.
    No such luck.

I was trying to build a machine for a customer and didn't have the 608x formatter in stock.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Can you turn an HP M608x into an M608n?

Quote Originally Posted by JtechC View Post
    The only difference between the two is the formatter (608x has wireless option) and the user control screen.
    I swapped the formatter to a K0Q14-60002 and a RM2-1259 screen. I formatted the printer afterward and uploaded the correct firmware. The user screen stayed fairly dark. It was very hard to read.
    I then swapped the LVPS and the DC controller, hoping that would work.
    No such luck.

I was trying to build a machine for a customer and didn't have the 608x formatter in stock.
    In the past with the Laserjet 4250 you could only use the 4250N formatter in the N version you couldn't go to the non N formatter and just add a jetdirect card. If would error all the time, I bet it is the same case when dealing with the X to a N.